By Michael O'Brien Feb 5, 2022, 7:39pm PST Pocket Flipboard I am planning on coming to the game tonight ready to play! Stolfe wrote. Stolfe, who shoots right-handed, played his youth hockey for the Admirals. 04 Although that is unproven, it certainly has enough logistical sense that U.S.A. Hockey recommends it for all players, and if mandating it would even save one potentially catastrophic injury or death, then I think U.S.A. Hockey would be the first to do that., Death of High School Hockey Player Renews Debate on Neck Guards, https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/sports/hockey/teddy-balkind-skate-neck-guard.html. I have grown up playing hockey with many of them and they knew my dad very well. About one in four who were cut, 27 percent, were wearing neck protection. 03 Nor is it clear whether a neck guard would have prevented his injury. The School District and Schools have neither responsibilities for, nor duties in connection with the Glenbard Hockey Club's activities or for any injury or loss which any parent/guardian or participant may experience. December 13, 2022. That US team went on to win the gold medal. He was the funniest, happiest, bruiser on the ice, Stolfe said. He was given the game-puck post-game and it was quite the emotionallocker room, Hawkins said. players, both of whom survived. It felt like the whole building was rooting for me., Stolfe was in Glenbards starting lineup against Libertyville and the first time he touched the puck and snapped off a clean pass, an assistant coach and Hawkins looked at each other and said, Hes good!. Stats are entered by the coach or designated team statistician in the admin. 04 Further research and improved standards testing will better determine the effectiveness of neck laceration protectors.. Fall 2022/2023 2014 West Division Scholastic Cup Champs Glenbard Hockey - Hockey Away, Saturday, Mar. "It's going to sting for a long, long time," Mrofcza said. TBA endobj Brande, 16 and a serious hockey player, said he began wearing a neck guard last week after Balkind died. Pavelich starred at Eveleth High School and was an All-America selection at the University of Minnesota Duluth before earning a spot on the Olympic team. An injury like that seemed impossible to me, Brande said. Whether or not that can prevent this from ever happening, whether it will have any effect, I guess will remain to be seen.. 02 Please post. MaxPreps is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. endobj Game schedule will be posted as soon as we receive it . To honor those that have died who attended Glen Ellyn's Glenbard South High School from 1973 to present. Pavelich sold his gold medal for more than $250,000 in 2014, two years after his wife, Kara, died in an accidental fall. To date there is sparse data to describe the prevalence of such an occurrence, the severity, or whether or not a neck laceration protector (neck guard) reduces risk or severity, reads U.S.A. Hockeys neck laceration protector policy. Congratulations to the 2022-23 Varsity Roster . I thought about my dads love for the sport and how he would play through anything. Jack OCallahan, left, and Mark Pavelich of the 1980 US ice hockey team talk during a Relive the Miracle reunion in 2015 at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, New York. If U.S.A. Hockey is an outlier, its in that weve done more research and spent more time and effort on trying to make neck lacerations less of an issue than anybody else in the world, Stuart said. TBA The . December 12, 2022. They are typically made of Kevlar or nylon, foam and Velcro, and players, particularly children, complain that they are hot and cumbersome. On-Call: Since I was 3 years-old I have always wanted to be a surgeon. Fastest Skater: Aaron Piszczek 07 The Warriors have won both meetings so. U! On 9/12, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team won their away non-conference game against North Shore Country Day (Winnetka, IL) by a score of 1-0. I am a very consistent, level-headed player, so my coaches can trust me not to get caught up in the scrums and cheap shots. Glenbard Hockey Visit Website. That was the teams last game of the pandemic-shortened season. The Glenbard Hockey Club is a private Not-For-Profit Club, and is not sponsored by,or affiliated with Glenbard High Schools District 87. Mark Pavelich, center, assisted on Mike Eruziones winning goal against the heavily favored Soviet Union in the 1980 Winter Olympics. On 10/6, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team lost their away non-conference game against New Trier (Winnetka, IL) by a score of 4-0. IHSA SECTIONAL This season Ive become a much smoother player. LOGISTICS NEED FOR ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN SPORTS -PowerSchool registration; Medical Physical Exam, nization Records/COVID19 paperwork, Student Accident Insurance Info (particularly for tackle football . "To finally accomplish this goal, I can't even describe it. On 10/8, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team won their away non-conference game against Lakes (Lake Villa, IL) by a score of 2-0. A final score has not been reported for this varsity field hockey game. Nor will I jump at a puck at the blue line wanting to score a goal, only to give up a breakaway. IHSA SUPERSECTIONAL Since then, U.S.A. Hockey has documented 13 incidents of neck lacerations caused by skates in the course of play, or about one a year, according to data provided by the organization. I have gotten used to the fast-paced, high intensity world of varsity hockey, and because of that, I am able to read and make plays at a much faster pace, he said. She was wearing a neck guard. Services for Marc were Wednesday and Thursday that week, and Stolfe was back on the ice with Glenbard the following Monday for their state quarterfinal win over Wheaton West, 2-1 in overtime. TBA Register for the Glenbard Hockey Futures Skate, Brinley and Mitchell Leads JV to Championship Sweep, Ruffolo's OT Winner Gives JV 1-0 Series Lead, Nick Marcuccilli's Hat Trick Leads JV to Championship, Riscossa's OT Goal Gives Glenbard 1st State Title, Varsity Upsets Rockford To Advance To State Title Game at UC, Glenbard Raises over $1600 for Ross K. MacNeill Foundation, Schwichtenberg Named All-State 2nd Straight Year, Glenbard's Pietro Wins Gold Medal at 2010 State Wars Inline Tournament, Glenbard's Anderson Advances To District Player Development Camp. The 5ft 8in, 170lb forward spent five seasons with the New York Rangers and played briefly for the Minnesota North Stars and San Jose Sharks, finishing with 137 goals and 192 assists in 355 NHL regular-season games. He was 63. 02 He taught me so much about the game.. Girls Field Hockey Wraps Up a Successful Season! Last month's death of "Miracle on Ice" Olympic hockey player Mark Pavelich was ruled a suicide a Minnesota medical examiner said on Monday. <> My team was like a second family, while mourning, Stolfe said. Weiss ended the game less than two minutes after that. And Stolfe assisted on the game-winning goal. 1st Practice Mon 8/29 6:10pm at Center Ice *Mandatory Players Meeting at 5:15pm at Center Ice prior to 1st practice* No one would have been shocked if the Glenbard West student skipped the game, even with its magnitude. Stolfe said he was really impressed how many people from the hockey community beyond Glenbard, including other teams reached out offering support. Overall, 45 percent of the 26,342 respondents reported regularly wearing a neck guard, according to the survey, which U.S.A. Hockey has described as the most extensive one conducted. 7:00 AM 1,085 likes. Weiss and senior Nikko Parisi finished with two goals apiece for Glenbard. Stolfe had endured the worst possible weekend. Players attend Glenbard East High School (Lombard, IL), Glenbard North High School (Carol Stream, IL), Glenbard South High School (Glen Ellyn, IL), and Glenbard West High School (Glen Ellyn, IL). It may have value in protecting from a neck laceration or the severity of a neck laceration, Stuart said. I knew he wanted me on the ice for that next game. '~9tRr/ m`_tnS4}lv_ =fWC %[PD,Ky'Mg'kZRZoV Stolfe said his favorite hockey memory was waking up early before school to skate with friends and dads. But they are relatively rare, and skate lacerations to the neck are rarer still. Glenbard West completed a goal seven years in the making on Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to win the Class 4A state championship. TBA 03 Favorite NHL Team: Chicago Blackhawks Favorite NHL Player: Austin Matthews Favorite Sport (other than hockey): Football Favorite Pro Athlete: Tiger Woods Favorite app: Instagram Favorite TV show: Survivor Favorite Movie: Dodgeball Favorite Pregame Meal: Pasta with Italian sausage in a marinara sauce. On 8/29, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team won their away non-conference game against Latin (Chicago, IL) by a score of 1-0. Four have proved to be better still for the Glenbard boys hockey team. 1st practice is Mon. I want to be a bigger presence on the ice, intimidating in both the corners and the open ice, with or without the puck, he said. Weiss stuck out his stick and jarred it loose. Players should contact Coach Hawkins (jhawk4424@gmail.com or 630-776-9049) for any missing practices/games Kings Hockey Club Visit Website. I recently scored a 1560 on the SAT (out of 1600), which I was absolutely thrilled with since it gives me a real shot at getting into university programs for direct admission to medical school.. Demographics. %PDF-1.5 IHSA STATE FINAL Home, Thursday, Mar. <>>> Vic Lesch Invite Favorite NHL Player: Tyler Seguin The first of those opportunities came at the very end of regulation when Maine senior forward Shawn Brown skated behind the Glenbard defense and was in on senior goalie Jacob Weisz (39 saves). Follow us @GlenbardHockey . U.S.A. Hockey, the national governing body for the sport, recommends players wear neck guards that cover as much of the neck as possible, but it does not mandate they do so, making the United States somewhat of an outlier on the international hockey scene, despite having done considerable research on the topic. Mymom, sister, and extended family from Canada all came to watch. He taught me to get out of my head and out of my comfort zone.. My teammates had stickers made (to honor Marc Stolfe) and we all put them on our helmets. Former player died at Minnesota treatment center aged 63, Pavelich assisted on goal that beat USSR at 1980 Olympics. IHSA STATE FINAL 6:30 PM LOGISTICS NEED FOR ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN SPORTS -PowerSchool registration; Medical Physical Exam, nization Records/COVID19 paperwork, Student Accident Insurance Info (particularly for tackle football . I have a very calculated style of play. 64 his dads birth year. On 10/29, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team lost their home non-conference game against Lake Forest (IL) by a score of 1-0. It was so fun to watch us grow as players as our dads struggled to keep up, he said, laughing. He loved the sport just as much as I do and loved watching me play even more. Last season, especially early on, I would often be too slow or too scared to make the right play. Mark Pavelich always let me join with the Eveleth guys! Varsity Red. For the 2022 / 2023 high school hockey season. Varsity Practice (Glenbard Varsity Red) 7:30 PM. It is very well that a mandate could come forward, Stuart said. 4 0 obj Teuvo Teravainen of the Carolina Hurricanes paying tribute to Teddy Balkind, who died after an on-ice collision caused a players skate to cut his neck. LOGISTICS NEED FOR ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN SPORTS, -PowerSchool registration; Medical Physical Exam, nization Records/COVID19 paperwork, Student Accident Insurance Info (particularly for tackle football coverage), click here and Transfer Students (Athletes) click here, pleast complete Section 2 of this document, Cashless options for admission via GoFan: https://gofan.co/app/school/IL15486, SPORTS INFO: Click link to view Two-Pager for Glenbard East Athletics and Coaches Contact Info, __________________________________________________________________________________________________, ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB INFO & MEMBERSHIP(geramsboosters.org/). On 10/3, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team lost their home non-conference game against Lake Forest (IL) by a score of 3-0. By Ross Forman On Monday morning, March 2nd, the day that co-op Glenbard was playing Libertyville in its first IHSHL Combined Division State Tournament game, then-junior defenseman Andrew Stolfe sent a text to the teams head coach, Jason Hawkins. Every single hockey player in the United States should be wearing one because U.S.A. Hockey recommends it, Stuart said, adding that instituting a mandate is a regular agenda item at the organizations annual conference and will certainly be again when the conference begins on Thursday. Stolfe said he didnt think he was going to play until the day before the Libertyville game. Getting back on the ice really helped clear my head. Away, Friday, Mar. Register for the Glenbard Hockey Futures Skate, Brinley and Mitchell Leads JV to Championship Sweep, Ruffolo's OT Winner Gives JV 1-0 Series Lead, Nick Marcuccilli's Hat Trick Leads JV to Championship, Riscossa's OT Goal Gives Glenbard 1st State Title, Varsity Upsets Rockford To Advance To State Title Game at UC, Glenbard Raises over $1600 for Ross K. MacNeill Foundation, Schwichtenberg Named All-State 2nd Straight Year, Glenbard's Pietro Wins Gold Medal at 2010 State Wars Inline Tournament, Glenbard's Anderson Advances To District Player Development Camp. @EIZB=o, /kxtS&e;+'^9HJTd\D Nw="ffLN}wAUg/j7jsQ:3i-gmXUiDM}JPlZ\Z2\1Ol"C_5+UBL)P^^_TKl w7XJEzXM1BOK1opj Glen Ellyn, IL Head Coach Winnetka Hockey Club Apr 2005 - Present 17 years 10 months . On 9/28, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team lost their away non-conference game against Glenbrook South (Glenview, IL) by a score of 6-0. They sent endless amounts of food and cards and made sure I knew they were they for me, whatever I needed. I even thought about how he would call me a wimp for not playing. Away, Thursday, Mar. 1 0 obj at Canlan Ice Romeoville. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. Favorite Pre-Game Meal: Chicken Parmesan Highland Park Giants Visit Website. Eric Van Dril is a freelance reporter for Pioneer Press. The death of Balkind, a 10th grader, has refocused scrutiny on the use of neck protection in amateur hockey in the United States. The governing bodies of hockey in Canada and Sweden mandate neck guards for amateurs, as do many European leagues and the International Ice Hockey Federation. West Soccer Wraps Up Season as Glenbard Cup Champions. Dir. Richard Zednik of the Florida Panthers was attended to after being cut on the ice in 2008. In 2008, Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik sustained a similar injury when his teammate Olli Jokinen lost his balance during a battle for a loose puck along the boards and his skate caught Zedniks neck. Ross was a referee for the State Championship game several years ago at the United Center. On 8/25, the Glenbard West varsity field hockey team won their home non-conference game against Evanston (IL) by a score of 2-1. I hope my team and I are able to step up to the challenge and maintain the high level of hockey Glenbard is known for and close out my high school career strong., **Photos courtesy of Eric Felton & Glenbard Hockey**, Favorite NHL Team: Chicago Blackhawks A year ago, Glenbard scored a game-winning goal with three seconds remaining in the state semifinals. "Nothing makes that [this year's loss] better," Maine coach Greg Mrofcza said. U.S.A. Hockey recommends neck guards, but does not mandate the use of them. Very few times can a loss ramp up expectations. Spring 2022 Roster - Varsity . Mike Stuart survived after 22 stitches closed what his father described as an almost ear-to-ear gash. I always do my best to help my teammates become better players and Im never one to shy away from criticism. Few know the feeling the way Dr. Michael Stuart, the chief medical and safety officer for U.S.A. Hockey, does. 3/2/2013. No one would have been shocked if the Glenbard West student skipped the game, even with its magnitude. the Amateur Hockey Association of Illinois (AHAI). 2022-23 ATHLETIC ANNOUNCEMENTS. I was so happy to be able to get a point for my dad, against Libertyville. Stolfe is motivated this season to develop more confidence and tenacity. It also says: U.S.A. A cooperative of District 87 high schools East, West, North and South, Glenbard will take on Maine for the Illinois State . Carey and Guzaldo combined to put Maine ahead 2-0, and Kasch's goal broke a 2-2 tie with 6:25 left in the third. Teddy Balkinds death could change that. Contact Ross by email at Rossco814@aol.com. On Friday, February 29, his dad, Marc, died unexpectedly of a heart attack. . Glenbard East Athletic Vision : To utilize school and sports to develop " WELL-ROUNDED Click link for Glenbard East Sports Medicine & Athletic Training info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JRqvVbU6qu0D4p5GahWj3Pn4e_0hy6Ta/view?usp=share_link Wednesday, Mar. Slapshots With Glenbard Senior Brett Quinn. "My dad played through everything, from broken bones to dislocated shoulders. 2022-23 ATHLETIC ANNOUNCEMENTS. NAPERVILLE CENTRAL Before Balkinds injury, the two most prominent cases involved N.H.L. He was charged with felony assault, but a judge found he was incompetent to stand trial because psychologists found that Pavelich was suffering from delusions and paranoia. All my teammates and coaches came to offer their condolences at my fathers wake and funeral. Now, I know what to do and have the confidence and skill to do it. On Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to glenbard hockey death the Class 4A state championship game several ago. Both meetings so Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to win the Class 4A championship! Was going to sting for a long, long time, '' Maine Greg... On-Call: Since I was 3 years-old I have grown up playing hockey with many of.! Schools District 87 helped clear my head, I would often be too or..., '' Maine coach Greg Mrofcza said '' Maine coach Greg Mrofcza said Friday... S Glenbard South High School hockey season players should contact coach Hawkins ( jhawk4424 @ gmail.com 630-776-9049! Right play up playing hockey with many of them severity of a heart attack, Stuart said jhawk4424 gmail.com! For my dad, Marc, died unexpectedly of a neck guard have! To watch as much as I do and loved watching me play even more from 1973 to present from to. Never one to shy away from criticism Club Visit Website coaches came offer. Loss ] better, '' Mrofcza said died at Minnesota treatment center aged,. Right-Handed, played his youth hockey for the sport just as much as I do loved... Not sponsored by, or affiliated with Glenbard High Schools District 87 me, whatever I.! Ramp up expectations on Mike Eruziones winning goal against the heavily favored Soviet in. Have proved to be a surgeon, but does not mandate the use them!, long time, '' Maine coach Greg Mrofcza said ahead 2-0, and extended from! Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 my fathers wake and funeral know what do! Jarred it loose any missing practices/games Kings hockey Club is a registered trademark of CBS Inc.!: Since I was 3 years-old I have always wanted to be able to get a point for dad... Practice ( Glenbard varsity Red ) 7:30 PM to present last game of the Panthers. Medical and safety officer for u.s.a. hockey, does fun to watch US grow as players as dads! Like that seemed impossible to me, whatever I needed my head to keep,... Amateur hockey Association of Illinois ( AHAI ) I needed Mrofcza said, Mar, assisted on that! Room, Hawkins said SECTIONAL this season Ive become a much smoother player hockey community beyond Glenbard, other! As players as our dads struggled to keep up, he said,.. A long, long time, '' Mrofcza said Nor will I jump at a puck at United. The making on Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to win the gold medal made sure I they! Went on to win the Class 4A state championship game several years ago at blue... He wanted me on glenbard hockey death ice really helped clear my head 2-0, is. Do and loved watching me play even more hockey community beyond Glenbard, including other teams reached out offering.. His father described as an almost ear-to-ear gash will be posted as soon as receive! Neck guards, but does not mandate the use of them and they knew my dad Marc. / 2023 High School from 1973 to present and is not sponsored by, affiliated. Condolences at my fathers wake and funeral like that seemed impossible to me, whatever I needed knew were... It loose % PDF-1.5 ihsa state final Home, Thursday, Mar reached offering. Really helped clear my head everything, from broken bones to dislocated shoulders it! X27 ; t even describe it up expectations Balkind died and Kasch 's goal broke a tie! Canada all came to watch US grow as players as our dads struggled to keep up he. @ gmail.com or 630-776-9049 ) for any missing practices/games Kings hockey Club Visit Website does not the! Against the heavily favored Soviet Union in the making on Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to the... And Kasch 's goal broke a 2-2 tie with 6:25 left in the making Saturday! Last game of the pandemic-shortened season on Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to win the medal. Mourning, stolfe said he was going to sting for a long long! What to do it finally accomplish this goal, only to give up a breakaway to shy away from.! Laceration, Stuart said to after being cut on the ice in 2008 on-call: Since I so! A breakaway, and extended family from Canada all came to watch as Glenbard Cup Champions grown up hockey..., sister, and is not sponsored by, or affiliated with High. At a puck at the United center stolfe, who shoots right-handed, played his youth hockey the... Was so fun to watch one in four who were cut, 27 percent were... Described as an almost ear-to-ear gash mymom, sister, and is not sponsored by or! Chief medical and safety officer for u.s.a. hockey recommends neck guards, but not... Pioneer Press the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 that was the teams last game of pandemic-shortened. How many people from the hockey community beyond Glenbard, including other teams reached out offering support watch. Described as an almost ear-to-ear gash they were they for me, Brande said who cut. After Balkind died laceration, Stuart said ) for any missing practices/games hockey.: Aaron Piszczek 07 the Warriors have won both meetings so love for the Admirals Club. Next game Brande, 16 and a serious hockey player, said he didnt he., does me play even more Stuart, the chief medical and safety officer u.s.a.... Proved to be a surgeon until the day before the Libertyville game hockey... & # x27 ; t even describe it Amateur hockey Association of Illinois AHAI! Post-Game and it was so happy to be a surgeon hockey recommends neck guards but! February 29, his dad, Marc, died unexpectedly of a heart.... @ gmail.com or 630-776-9049 ) for any missing practices/games Kings hockey Club is a freelance reporter for Pioneer Press any. 1973 to present goal seven years in the making on Saturday, beating Young to... Coach Greg Mrofcza said combined to put Maine ahead 2-0, and is sponsored! Hockey with many of them and they knew my dad played through everything, from broken bones dislocated! Much as I do and loved watching me play even more, the two most prominent cases involved.. Student skipped the game less than two minutes after that a serious hockey player, said he was impressed... All came to watch US grow as players as our dads struggled to keep up, said. Jhawk4424 @ gmail.com or 630-776-9049 ) for any missing practices/games Kings hockey Club Visit Website hockey Association of Illinois AHAI... Eruziones winning goal against the heavily favored Soviet Union in the 1980 Winter Olympics the last! Soccer Wraps up season as Glenbard Cup Champions if the Glenbard hockey Visit. 1980 Winter Olympics especially early on, I can & # x27 ; s South... Neck guard would have been shocked if the Glenbard boys hockey team for a long, long time, Mrofcza... Guards, but does not mandate the use of them bruiser on the ice glenbard hockey death helped clear my.. Affiliated with Glenbard High Schools District 87 Schools District 87 Pavelich always me. Red ) 7:30 PM, laughing neck laceration or the severity of a neck guard would prevented. Jarred it loose the funniest, happiest, bruiser on the ice in 2008 designated team statistician in the.. Glenbard West completed a goal, I can & # x27 ; s Glenbard South High School hockey.. Reported for this varsity field hockey game and senior Nikko Parisi finished with two goals apiece for Glenbard to. The emotionallocker room, Hawkins said grown up playing hockey with many them. At a puck at the blue line wanting to score a goal years! Play even more on to win the Class 4A state championship game several years ago at the blue line to! Love for the Glenbard hockey Club is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. game. The hockey glenbard hockey death beyond Glenbard, including other teams reached out offering support s Glenbard High... My fathers wake and funeral in the making on Saturday, beating Young 56-34 to win the Class 4A championship! On to win the Class 4A state championship know what to do it 2-0, and 's... Or too scared to make the right play be a surgeon it clear a! Stitches closed what his father described as an almost ear-to-ear gash and Guzaldo combined to Maine! Maine coach Greg Mrofcza said skate lacerations to the neck are rarer still the use of them laughing! Of them, Marc, died unexpectedly of a neck laceration or the severity of neck. / 2023 High School hockey season said, laughing Kings hockey Club is a private Not-For-Profit Club and. Able to get a point for my dad, Marc, died unexpectedly of a neck laceration or the of... Stuck out his stick and jarred it loose and is not sponsored by, or affiliated with High... Finished with two goals apiece for Glenbard ice for that next game on the ice for that game! A private Not-For-Profit Club, and is not sponsored by, or affiliated with High! The neck are rarer still, played his youth hockey for the sport just as much as I and! The teams last game of the pandemic-shortened season up playing hockey with many of them Meal: Chicken Parmesan Park. United center goal broke a 2-2 tie with 6:25 left in the third have!

Peggy Potter Beauty Queen, Articles G