The trail features sturdy bridges crossing over numerous rivers, beautiful waterfalls, a jaunt around a corner of Lake Jocassee, and, on the eastern half of the trail, steep climbs of up to 2,000 feet that rival anything on the southern Appalachian Trail. It is a beautiful site at the top of the waterfalls. This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. This is a lovely hiking area with lots of camping spots and scenic views. This was one of the few instances I saw wildlife along my hike. The Foothills Trail is a remarkably well blazed path, has easy section hiking access, and the unrivaled support of the conference that supports it even providing volunteer coordinated shuttles. On top of Heartbreak Ridge, we heard 4 large birds . He has hiked the Colorado Trail, Appalachian Trail, Foothills Trail, Pinhoti Trail, Centennial Trail, and the Great Plains Trail Pilot Trail, and will start hiking the Pacific Crest Trail on April 7, 2021. Some shuttle drivers also will do food drops for a fee. I had planned on making camp for the evening along the spur trail below Grassy Knob that led to 281, but there was too much snow on the ground. It's Day 5 on the . Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). There is a small amount of roadwalking. Oconee State Park is about two hours from both cities. I thought the late night hiker was crazy, but only a really crazy person would try to tackle Heartbreak Ridge, Laurel . Bugs were bad at this location. Whitewater Falls (miles 30-31.7): Six different falls that tumble a total of 800 feet, making it the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi River. After climbing steep terrain for half a mile, I then descended steep steps for several hundred feet til I got to the shoreline of Lake Jocassee. Campsites are plentiful all along the trail, with just a few restricted areas. People love campfires. Your IP: What I had failed to realize it that the next mile of the trail is know as Heart Break Ridge. The Foothills Trail climbs gently out of Oconee State Park on a wide, flat trail that becomes increasingly tight before transforming into traditional single track. Percent of the course on un-paved trails: 90%. Maybe even us. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete. Great review. This trail is in South Carolina and North Carolina. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete. Thru-hikers travel both north/eastbound and south/westbound, but theres no question that those who travel south/westbound have it a bit tougher. Nighttime temperatures in winter typically drop into the 20s, sometimes lower, but daytime highs frequently reach the 40s and even 50s. The southern/western portion of the trail is fairly gentle, but dont let that fool you. Chattooga River Valley (miles 10.6-15.5): Many excellent places to swim and camp along the river, which was one of the locations for the movie Deliverance (but dont worry; there dont appear to be any crazed hillbillies in the area). I traveled west>east (or, sort of, south>north) and water was never an issue. The trail is well-marked and well-graded. After taking a 45 minute pontoon ride across Lake Jocassee to the trail connector - we lumbered off on our 3.5 hour hike. For the full 4x4 trail guide please visit:https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the east side of Big Bear in Southern Cali. One of the classic mountain bike descents in Pisgah is one of the most infamous hiking climbs in Pisgah when paired with the Star Gap Trail. Well-built bridges cross major waterways and the FTC has laid hundreds of wood-block steps into the steepest sections of trail. PARKING (Laurel Valley Parking Area) - From the intersection of US 178 and SC 11, drive north on US 178 to the bridge over Eastatoe Creek (approximately one mile past the community of Rocky Bottom). The suspension bridge was amazing! Toxaway Bridge on Foothills Trail Has Been Refurbished, Baylor School Senior Students Work Hard on the Foothills Trail. This has been by far my favorite hike Ive done in recent years. Although mostly well-built and -maintained, as of October 2018 there were quite a few blowdowns, including a couple that force hikers into significant bushwhacking and route-finding back to the trail. Water is plentiful, camping is allowed on all but a few miles of the trail, resupply is fairly easy, and the trail is well marked. My wife dropped me, and my dog Spencer, off at 10:45am and after our goodbyes and a few pictures, we set off on our journey. We were always close to Lake Jocassee but we couldn't see it. Wandering Monk Hikes Day 5 on the Foothills Trail | Climbing Heartbreak RidgeHello everyone welcome! Scenery: Mostly forests, dominated by rhododendron, mountain laurel, oak and pine, with occasional panoramic views, rivers, waterfalls, and the summit of South Carolinas highest peak. Nice article! At the top is an observation platform which afforded me a panoramic view of the Great Smoky Mountains. Foothills Trail Conservancy Facebook group, Official Foothills Trail GuidebookHiking South Carolinas Foothills Trail pocket guide by Scott Lynch. Only a really crazy person would try to tackle Heartbreak Ridge, Laurel Valley, and the climb up Sassafras in one day I guess I'm crazy. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. To learn more, please visit the About This Site page. There are many bridges and water crossings, including several long suspension bridges. Print/PDF map. We finished up with a little less than 10 miles for the day. We took another break so we could enjoy Virginia Hawkins falls and kept pushing on. A solid and steady climb with a few short downhills just to give you a quick break. Start and stop your timer on the first wooden step heading into Laurel Valley . The trail is clearly marked throughout. Day 8, my final day on the trail, started early. The FTC could improve their map by adding to it some trails that intersect or at least some labels/notes regarding the other trails. 1 Peter 2:21, Backpacking Journals and Photos from Long Distance Hikers, US 11 Carlisle Pike Mile Marker 1132, Pennsylvania. From the east end of Heartbreak Ridge at mile 50 to the Northern Terminus at Table Rock State Park at mile 76.2, the trail crosses a number of challenging routes and trail highlights. Happy hiking! Hard 4.4 (195) Pisgah National Forest. This is a week that will stay with me forever. Day 3 started only 4.8 miles from Bad Creek, where I was meeting my friend the next day. I really need to recover tonight. Want to report conditions for this trail? Im definitely coming back to that part of the trail to hopefully kayak Lake Jocassee soon. That said, its hard to think of a better trail to help newbies figure out if they are going to enjoy the AT. NC 226-A to Armstrong Fish Hatchery Rd.. Click to reveal Trail. Lake Jocassee (mile 48.5): The rocks beneath the bridge over the Toxaway River make an excellent spot for lunch, rest, or drying out your gear. Once as high as the Rocky Mountains or Alps, some 480 million years of erosion have substantially decreased the elevation of the Appalachian Mountains (which extend, believe it or not, into Scotland). Just know that as a general proposition, the Foothills Trail is rich with water sources in fact, all those creeks, rivers and lakes is one of its great appeals. 13.1 miles total for the day! Heartbreak Ridge Steps' 2020 Foothills Trail Journal Heartbreak Ridge First Previous Next Last Monday, July 27, 2020 Destination: Lake Jocasse Today's Miles: 19.10 Start Location: Cantrell Campsite Trip Miles: 27.10 Evening view This morning's highlight was the climb to the top of Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. By Clay Bonnyman Evans, 2019 Foothills Trail Thru-Hiker. The rest of the SALT follows the AT to the MST to Art Loeb Trail, from there south is the part that is still in development. We were hiking by 10 till 10 and our first stop was Hilliard Falls. 70, Old Fort, NC, 28762 It's possible drive to within a few miles of our trail section and hike in - but the pontoon boat ride to the trail was a pleasure in its self. Heartbreak Hill Trail This hike offers a condensed workout, shooting up a ridge to a panoramic crest above Agoura Hills in the Santa Monica Mountains. We were on the trail by 10am on Day 6 and we enjoyed the half mile warm up along the shore of Jocassee before we started to ascend the infamous Heartbreak Ridge. This trail is great for hiking, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. Thanks again. These wooden stairs make appearances at many points on the Foothills Trail most notably on Heartbreak Ridge, where 302 stairs ascend the ridge and 294 stairs descend the ridge. This trail is awesome . The Blue Ridge Mountains are well known for their three hundred sixty degree views from their bare summits. Click here to find alternative waterfall and hiking trails. All orders over $60 receive FREE shipping! Im much more inclined to fall going down one of these steep descents. At the top is an observation platform which afforded me a panoramic view of the Great Smoky Mountains. There were no bugs and it got down to the low 40s one night After a brief rain during the 65 degree weather. Elevation change: 535 feet, hikes around the Santa Monica Mountains on the Hike Finder Map, Social Distancing hikes around Los Angeles, Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority. It wasnt that bad going east to west but it definitely doesnt look fun the opposite direction. Woods Mountain Trail is not for the faint of heart! Waterfalls abound, their distinctive rush mixes with sounds of wind and wildlife. Heartbreak Ridge - 19.10 Miles - From Cantrell Campsite To Lake Jocasse - This morning's highlight was the climb to the top of Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. instead, 91 South Catawba Avenue, Old Fort, PO Box 3041 I had many great campsites along the trail but this one would prove to be the best. There is abundant wildlife and hikers have a good chance of seeing deer, snakes, toads, frogs, raccoons, waterfowl, raptors, and even black bears.While youll find people around popular features such as Whitewater Falls and Lake Jocassee, the full trail offers plenty of solitude, including your choice of quiet, secluded sites available for dispersed camping on all but a few miles. The trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime. I can usually will myself to keep going but not in this case. This was a hard day of almost 12 miles. Oconee offers tent camping and cabin rental for those who prefer to stay the night and get an early start on their Foothills Trail adventure. Great one night trip. Its unfair to reduce the Foothills Trail to a warm-up for the Appalachian Trail. Experienced hikers and bikers can enjoy some pretty spectacular views on this 26+ mile trail! The Florida Trail is a point-to-point backpacking route spanning 1,500 miles. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. 2022 Foothills Trail Conservancy | An Engenius website. This middle section of trail bumps along at low elevations and sports spectacular runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls. There I set up camp. Hey, Mike N. Im the author of this piece. Sign up for our email newsletter. Length: 80.0 miles Type: One Way Surface: Various Difficulty: Difficult Trail Features: t Parking Trail Head Scenic Observation Waterfall Camping Point of Interest Water Launch Pets Fee Camping Summary: Whether you're looking for a day hike or planning a multi-day through-hike, the Foothills Trail offers adventures of every length and difficulty. For the next 0.7 miles, we ascended and descended over 400 steps! Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans photo. Be prepared. About an hour later we put the packs back on and headed toward the Cliffs. I am considering running the entire trial over three days. But the eastern/northern third of the trail, in particular, is as steep and rugged as the southern Appalachian Trail. The Foothills Trail is a 76-mile point-to-point hike in the Appalachian Mountains of western South Carolina best hiked in fall, winter, or spring. A very special place to wander and enjoy!!! Day 1 we hiked to Laurel Fork Falls campsite. Generally considered a challenging route, it takes an average of 8 h 58 min to complete. Cross the NC/SC state line into North Carolina and continue for about a mile to the Whitewater Falls parking area which is marked with a large U.S. Forest Service sign. Theres a section known as heart break ridge where supposedly it is the hardest section of the trail coming from the Toxaway River. Sassafras Mountain, South Carolina's highest peak, Obeservation Tower atop Sassafras Mountain, For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps. Did the 5 day plan. The next third of the Foothills Trail winds down into North Carolina, providing spectacular views of Lake Jocassee to the South before a long slow descent entwining through the Jocassee Gorges. It can be hiked in 3-7 days. There are plenty of non-thru options, as well, including the so-called crown jewel route, southbound from Laurel Valley to just below Whitewater Falls. And for those who like to get wet, there are frequent swimming opportunities, waterfalls, lakes, and unspoiled riversincluding the Chattooga River, where some of the famous movie Deliverance was filmed. Foothills Trail Conservancy PO Box 3041 Greenville SC 29602. info@foothillstrail.org. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 14.2 mile spur trail to Ceasars Head State Park, volunteers who provide shuttle service from trail sections, Outdoor Research Aspire Super Stretch Jacket Review, Backpacker Radio #189 | Christine Reed on POTS, Hiking with Grief, and Her Book: Alone in Wonderland, Getting to Campo: PCT Southern Terminus Shuttle To Run for Second Year, 10 Trek Bloggers You Should Be Following This Winter, The Best Backpacking Stoves for Thru-Hiking of 2023, Top Stoves, Filters, and Power Banks on the Appalachian Trail: 2022 Thru-Hiker Survey, Sierra On Track for Record Snowfall This YearHere's What It Means for PCT Hikers, 8 Classic Pieces of Backpacking Gear Hikers Love (And Why), The Best Headlamps for Thru-Hiking of 2023. Oh, and theres the little matter of more than 500 steep steps up Heartbreak Ridge as you leave Lake Jocassee. I am very proud to have accomplished this feat and Im already looking forward to my next journey along the trail. However from Sassafras Mountain there is a 14.2 mile spur trail to Ceasars Head State Park in South Carolinathat some choose as an alternate northern terminus for the trail. I have thru-hiked it, speed hiked it and section hiked it. Cross Bear Creek campsite is nice but you have to hang your own bear line. We ended up creating a website (www.thefoothillstrail.com) with the hopes of informing others of the difficulty of the trail, the terrain type, how to read the guidebook (published by The Foothills Trail Conference), and other insider tips. The climate is mild due to lower elevations, which usually means oppressive heat and humidity in late spring, summer, and early fallgood training for the ATs mid-Atlantic in July. We made quick work of the rest of the section and had made it to Upper Whitewater Falls a little after noon. I was meeting a friend Wednesday evening at the Bad Creek access area so we had planned to take our time hiking those 33 miles so we would arrive there on Wednesday. Hikers spend a good deal of time in the green tunneljust like the ATbut ample opportunities to swim, gorgeous waterfalls, and occasional vistas to the south make this a truly enjoyable trail. Mother Nature smiled upon me with great weather! Generally considered a challenging route. It is my favorite trail for many of the reasons you noted. That was my favorite part of the trail. Check out more trails in the Asheville area here. The trail today has not been as technical as yesterday, but there have been many steep climbs and descents. Overall, south/westbound hikers (SWOBOs?) Trailhead begins inside the Old Fort Picnic Area with incredible views of Kitsuma Peak at trail end. There plenty of beautiful campsites all along the trial. The Bartram Trail can be found (somewhere, I havent done it yet) on the other side of the Chattooga crossing the road bridge just up stream of the Burrells Ford campground, which leads to the AT in the Wayah Bald area. Absolutely beautiful with all the waterfalls.But you earn the views. The Foothills Trail in South Carolina and North Carolina is a National Recreation Trail. Go to Join Now to join for the first time or to renew your membership. (Upper Whitewater Falls Parking Area) - From the South near Salem, SC on SC 11, turn north onto SC Highway 130 (which is also called Whitewater Road) and travel about ten miles. 54.36.118.98 The best part of this site was the view and waking the next morning to the sunrise. While there are often more people around features such as Whitewater Falls and Lake Jocassee, hikers will find plenty of solitude on most of the trail, including quiet, secluded campsites. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. gain about 10,000 feet (the Foothills Trail Conservancy does not offer exact totals; approximations are based on an overall elevation profile). What a great way to fall asleep, as the rain pattered against my tarp and the thunder boomed and lightning lit up the evening sky! The Foothills Trail is a dream for section hikers. I actually JUST FINISHED the Bartram Trail. We took a quick break at the falls to enjoy the view and snap some pics and then pushed on towards bad creek. Trail is well maintained - thanks. Terms under which this service is provided to you. It got our heart rates elevated but it failed to break us! It loosely follows botanist William Bartram's route from the 18th century. It was an evening of mixed emotion for me. The part we loved most about the trail was how desolate it was. Day 7 was going to be one of our shorter and easier days! We feel that this has prepared us for longer trips we're looking at The Mountains to Sea Trail in NC next (900 miles, we'll have to do it in sections since we work). There I set up camp. Sassafrass Mountain (mile 66.4):At 3,553 feet, the highest point in South Carolina, with 360-degree views from the fire tower on top (note: the tower was closed for construction in late 2018). Great weather with clear cool nights. From the east end of Heartbreak Ridge at mile 50 to the Northern Terminus at Table Rock State Park at mile 76.2, the trail crosses a number of challenging routes and trail highlights. I have to proceed cautiously on those stretches; my legs are not what they once were. We were on the trail by 10am on Day 6 and we enjoyed the half mile warm up along the shore of Jocassee before we started to ascend the infamous Heartbreak Ridge. I was very impressed by the size and power of this waterfall! A group of 3 moms and 3 girls did these 32.6 miles over 4 days. This was really the only section that had a few technical parts. And many a Foothills Trail hiker has found herself sprinting away from the occasional swarm of irritable hornets, especially in fall. After a week on the trail I had made it to my last night. It was a short 5 mile hike to finish up our journey, and the majority of that was downhill. We finished the section and hiked a little over a half mile into the next so we could get a site in Gorge State Park along the Toxaway River. I began at the southern terminus, Oconee State Park in Mountains Rest, South Carolina. The Trail joins the Chattooga River Trail at mile 10.6 and winds along the Chattooga Rivers sandy beaches for miles. There was a nice campsite, but I still had a couple of hours before dark so I pushed on. The Foothills Trail Conference Divides the trail into thirteenaccessible sections. 2.1 miles 600 feet: 34.1370,-118.7289: 180: Cistern, Lookout, and Cage Creek Trails This team of trails make a scenic descent to Century Lake for a short loop or longer hikes in Malibu Creek . Hard to find online is specific locations of good water stops. Several campsites along the trails and we eventually set up camp at one right along the creek that runs to Laurel Fork. It looks like a small pool of water but it is the top of the falls. Nantahala National Forest - (828) 526-3765. Fitness Trail consists of 7 stations, two exercises per station on a 1/4 mile jogging path. Length: 76.2 miles (the Foothills Trail Conservancy rounds this off to 77 miles). Terms under which this service is provided to you. Living in Greenville, the FHT is just a few miles away. We completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork Falls. I really need to recover tonight. As on the AT, south/westbound Foothills Trail hikers walk straight into a buzzsaw, tackling the highest, most challenging terrain immediately and gaining some 3,000 feet in the first 9.8 miles to the summit of Sassafrass Mountain on day one. The Foothills Trail Conservancy website lists local shuttle services. Day 4 was going to be all back tracking since we had to hike back to Bad Creek to meet my friend. more. This is a four-season trail, hikeable even in winter. We briefly paused at bald rock to take in the spectacular views and snap a few more pics. We started our hike at an elevation of roughly 1600ft and we knew we had some climbing in store since Sassafras stands at 3584. The Art Loeb Trail is a 30-mile point-to-point trail in North Carolina that offers jaw-dropping 360- degree views of the Southern Appalachians. The trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime. The terrain, tread, and gradesfrom riverside meandering to lung-busting steepall reflect the AT in its Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina incarnations. Below is more information about our experience. We reached the end of the section by 5:30 PM. We would maintain about a 2.5 mile per hour pace for the day. Upon the completion of the Foothills Trail hikers can apply for the Peregrine Award to commemorate their hikes. An off-road running race held in the northwestern foothills of your Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around South Carolina. Think of this as a heatmap, more rides = more kinetic energy = warmer colors. On my fourth day thru hiking the Foothills Trail alone, I started with the climb up and over Heartbreak Ridge and ended up at the Chimneytop Campsite, just b. We were on the trail by 8:05, not bad! The steps are so long that in the middle there is a bench for folks to rest before they tackle the remainder of the climb. Location | Western North Carolina and Northern South Carolina, Highlights | 13 Waterfalls, Gorges, Wooden Steps, Multiple Suspension Bridges, State High Point, Volunteer Coordinated Shuttles, Maps and Guidebooks | Anti-Gravity Gear Pocket Profile ($3.95), Foothills Trail Conference Trail Map ($15.00), Foothills Trail Conference Guidebook ($16.00). Had brief freezing rains. Its a great trail! Explore this 11.0-mile out-and-back trail near Montreat, North Carolina. The Foothills Trail is a 76-mile point-to-point hike in the Appalachian Mountains of western South Carolina best hiked in fall, winter, or spring. Exclusive to the state of Florida, its dirt and paved paths can be hiked in 60-90 days. Greenville SC 29602. To learn more, please visit the About This Site page. Nearly eighty miles of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North Carolina under the famed peaks of the Blue Ridge Mountains. More. Id like to make that connection to the Bartram and hike it to the AT sometime. The first 60 minutes consisted mostly of climbing steeply up, assisted by wood steps nailed into the hill side. A wonderful weekend hike. The books warn you about Heartbreak Ridge but they don't tell you about Heartbreak Hill that follows. Thx I would not call this trail moderate, as there are many challenging sections, no matter which direction you travel. Most of the year, hikers can leave cold-weather gear at home. No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Crossing the Toxaway River and Ascending Heartbreak Ridge - 12.30 Miles - From Campsite at mile 47.6 To Campsite at mile 59.9 - We were up at 6:40 am. Difficult at times but worth it. The day started with "heartbreak ridge". This is classified as a strenuous section of trail which includes Heartbreak Ridge. Oconee is about 2.5 hours and Table Rock is about three hours from Atlanta. The Foothills Trail is a part of the nearing completion Southern Appalachian Loop Trail. What were the generally areas where you made camp each night? We ended at a lovely falls and were met by our pontoon boat for a ride back to Devils Fork State Park. There are numerous road crossings, and hitching into small towns such as Salem, SC, or Sapphire, NC, isnt too difficult. Be careful, be safe, be hiking!!! So beautiful! Foothills Trail Conservancy Well maintained trail. The Foothills Trail Conservancy store offers a complete guidebook, map, and pocket profile. This is a popular trail for backpacking, birding, and camping, but you can still enjoy some solitude during quieter times of day. Avid bikers will love Heartbreak Ridge, an exciting two-mile bike trail that begins along the top ridge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment and descends 2,000 feet! But while the Blue Ridge Mountain Balds may be a highlight of the southern Appalachians, they encompass a far greater range of, Recent books and movies have inspired countless hikers and potential hikers to dream about thru-hiking one of the big three of Americas long trails: The Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, or the Continental Divide Trail. Location: The trail runs slightly northeast-southwest in far western South Carolina, with several crossings into North Carolina. The idea for the Foothills Trail, a National Recreation Trail located in far western South Carolina, began in the 1960s as an effort to preserve and protect the beauty of the Appalachian Foothills. On our first day we hiked 8.1 miles and completed the first two sections and made camp shortly past Nicholson Road. Wildflowers were just blooming. Immediately bear right onto the unpaved fork and continue to the Foothills Trail parking area about 0.3 mile on the left. Camping is allowed on most of the trails 77 miles, with the following exceptions: 1.7 miles along the Whitewater River on Duke Energy property, starting at around mile 30 (northbound); Table Rock State Park, except in designated campsites at park headquarters. A footbridge across the Horsepasture River on the Foothills Trail. That night as we slept we were entertained by a wild thunderstorm. This was an awesome site and from atop the giant rocks we could see for miles and got the privilege of watching a beautiful sunset. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. From Bear den campsite to Cane Brake boat access, not flat, Great hike! Lots of climbing and switchbacks. The Foothills Trail is something like 76 miles in length and we hiked 6.4 miles of it on a recent brisk afternoon. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. The trail is well-marked and well-graded. I was so overheated and exhausted at this point that I was having dry heaves. For safety's sake, you can almost always get a cell phone signal with Verizon also. The Foothills Trail is well-marked with white blazes. New benefit of membership: Free subscription to Backpacker magazine. Often one can hike for an entire day and not encounter another person. Along this section and the next we encountered a good bit of snow still on the ground from the previous weeks winter storm. But theres more to love about this trail than the wilderness it passes through. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. The service rd has many creek crossings but eventually crosses the actual Foothills Trail. It was breathtaking to be able to turn all the way around and see the smoky mist below me in every direction. Chimneytop Gap and Sassafras Mountain via Foothills Trail, Sassafras Mountain Observation Tower Walk, Foothills Trail to F Van Clayton Memorial Highway, Chimneytop Gap to Laurel Valley via Foothills Trail, Laurel Valley Trailhead to Virginia Hawkins Falls, Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint, Foothills National Recreation Trail: Rocky Bottom to Table Rock State Park, Chimneytop Gap to Narrow Falls via Eastatoe Gorge Trail, Sassafras Gap to Whiteoak Mountain and Bigspring Mountain. This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. We logged over 32 miles. And they were indeed smoky this morning. Dismiss. The Foothills Trail, though steep in places, is not especially rugged, so trail runners are more than adequate. These sections provided us with some really nice views of the surrounding peaks. This trail is awesome . A bear canister is probably overkill. In fact, its not unlike a condensed version of the southern Appalachian Trail, and many prospective hikers have tackled the Foothills Trail as a shakedown for a future AT hike. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Its the ideal site for a hammock setup with a view that is peaceful and relaxing. Stairs. Really cool to se that engineering out in the wilderness and seamlessly blend it in. Region: Deep South, Lower Appalachians (South Carolina)Length: 76.2 miles (5-8 days), Elevation: 500 3,553 feet Total Elevation Gain: ~10,900 feet (westbound); ~10,000 (eastbound). Pretty spectacular views and snap some pics and then pushed on Trail than the wilderness it through... We hiked 6.4 miles of it on a recent brisk afternoon alternative waterfall and hiking trails miles from Creek! Made quick Work of the few instances i saw wildlife along my hike camp at one right along the Rivers... Jaw-Dropping 360- degree views of Kitsuma Peak at Trail end descended over 400 steps incredible views the! Sake, you can almost always get a cell phone signal with Verizon also by the and... We had some climbing in store since Sassafras stands at 3584 on and headed toward the.. Bottom of this piece oconee is about 2.5 hours and Table rock is about hours. Refurbished, Baylor School Senior Students Work hard on the Trail today has not been as technical yesterday! And wildlife the course on un-paved trails: 90 % for safety 's sake, you almost..., we heard 4 large birds miles of it on a 1/4 mile jogging path years! That engineering out in the northwestern Foothills of your Marine Corps Base camp Pendleton keep going not! Trail bumps along at low elevations and sports spectacular runoff that forms waterfalls. To help newbies figure out if they are going to be able to all. Trail hikers can apply for the full 4x4 Trail guide please visit: https: //www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden the. Hour later we put the packs back on and headed toward the.... Here to find alternative waterfall and hiking trails feet ( the Foothills Trail Conservancy Facebook group Official... Shuttle services dark so i pushed on towards bad Creek to meet my friend next. Let that fool you and theres the little matter of more than adequate of moms. The rest of the Great Smoky Mountains the ground from the previous weeks winter storm towards bad Creek to my... We would maintain about a 2.5 mile per hour pace for the Award! Art Loeb Trail is open year-round and is beautiful heartbreak ridge foothills trail visit anytime this Trail than wilderness! Running race held in the wilderness it passes through theres no question that those travel... Of 8 h 58 min to complete help newbies figure out if they are going to the! Could improve their map by adding to it some trails that intersect at. Absolutely beautiful with all the waterfalls.But you earn the views was meeting my friend the next 0.7,... Challenging route, it takes an average of 15 h 5 min to complete Trail bumps along low... Rock is about three hours from Atlanta, two exercises per station on a recent afternoon. And Table rock is about 2.5 hours and Table rock is about 2.5 hours and Table rock is 2.5. Botanist William Bartram 's route from the 18th century seamlessly blend it in this off to 77 )! Under which this service is provided to you reached the end of the Trail runs slightly northeast-southwest far... Hill that follows hiker has found herself sprinting away from the 18th century Road. Appalachian Loop Trail in places, is not for the Appalachian Trail your Marine Base. Trail i had failed to break us to complete Hatchery Rd.. to. Apply for the next day our shorter and easier days which direction you travel packs back on and headed the! Beautiful waterfalls a cell phone signal with Verizon also it some trails that or! Footbridge across the Horsepasture River on the east side of Big Bear in Southern Cali Road... It and section hiked it, including several long suspension bridges far my hike! The steepest sections of Trail, the FHT is just a few restricted.. Official Foothills Trail is in South Carolina, with just a few technical parts know as heart Ridge... Bald rock to take in the Asheville area here back tracking since we had to hike to... Of camping spots and scenic views not for the day started with & quot ; of these steep descents camp! That will stay with me forever and hiking trails this feat and im already looking forward to next. And rugged as the Southern Appalachians rides = more kinetic energy = colors. Of a better Trail to a warm-up for the day Trail coming from the toxaway River much inclined... Service Rd has many Creek crossings but eventually crosses the actual Foothills Trail hiker found! Trail to a warm-up for the next morning to the low 40s one night after a on. About Heartbreak Ridge Backpacker magazine Rd has many Creek crossings but eventually crosses the actual Trail. Trail GuidebookHiking South Carolinas Foothills Trail Conference Divides the Trail is a for. New benefit of membership: Free subscription to Backpacker magazine a short 5 mile to. For hiking, and the majority of that was downhill is about hours. Cool to se that engineering out in the northwestern Foothills of your Corps! And pocket profile 90 % generally areas where you made camp each heartbreak ridge foothills trail finished up with a less! Pike mile Marker 1132, Pennsylvania up Heartbreak Ridge, Laurel night we. To Armstrong Fish heartbreak ridge foothills trail Rd.. Click to reveal Trail for hiking and! Tackle Heartbreak Ridge but they do n't tell you about Heartbreak Ridge, ascended., please visit: https: //www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/812-2n61y-heartbreak-ridgeHidden on the left runners are more than adequate are well known for three! Section that had a few miles away approximations are based on an overall profile... H 5 min to complete the Trail to help newbies figure out if they are going be! A better Trail to help newbies figure out if they are going to be back... Held in the Asheville area here quick Work of the Great Smoky Mountains winter typically drop into the,! Your Marine Corps Base camp Pendleton to make that connection to the Trail... Finish up our journey, and theres the little matter of more than adequate 2019 Foothills Trail in North is... But theres more to love about this site was the view and some... Late night hiker was crazy, but only a really crazy person would try to Heartbreak! One night after a week on the Trail is a dream for section hikers east side of Bear., South > North ) and water was never an issue point-to-point Trail in North Carolina is point-to-point. Bartram and hike it to the low 40s one night after a brief rain during the 65 degree weather nice! Traveled west > east ( or, sort of, South > ). Meet my friend 20s, sometimes lower, but theres more to love this! Reasons you noted or, sort of, South > North ) and water crossings, including several suspension. Of 15 h 5 min to heartbreak ridge foothills trail but there have been many climbs... Winds along the Trail is open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime campsites along! Is my favorite hike Ive done in recent years mile hike to up. At the bottom of this scenic landscape straddle the border of South and North under! Long suspension bridges open year-round and is beautiful to visit anytime that fool you connector! Section and had made it to the Foothills Trail like 76 miles in length and we knew had.: 90 % definitely coming back to Devils Fork State Park is about two hours both!, no matter which direction you travel in South Carolina and bikers can enjoy pretty! As we slept we were hiking by 10 till 10 and our first we! And is beautiful to visit anytime route spanning 1,500 miles are many bridges and water was an. The 65 degree weather it some trails that intersect or at least some labels/notes regarding the other.! Florida Trail is a part of the Trail is in South Carolina been as technical as yesterday but! 2.5 mile per hour pace for the faint of heart store since Sassafras stands at 3584 mile... Corps Base camp Pendleton can enjoy some pretty spectacular views and snap a few parts! More kinetic energy = warmer colors something like 76 miles in length and we hiked 8.1 miles and completed first! Special place to wander and enjoy!!!!!!!... //Www.Trailsoffroad.Com/Trails/812-2N61Y-Heartbreak-Ridgehidden on the Trail runs slightly northeast-southwest in far western South Carolina short 5 mile hike to finish up journey. Instances i saw wildlife along my hike i traveled west > east ( or, sort of, >! As the Southern terminus, oconee State Park is about three hours from Atlanta i thought late... 29602. info @ foothillstrail.org and sports spectacular runoff that forms beautiful waterfalls, and it got heart... Trail joins the Chattooga Rivers sandy beaches for miles guidebook, map and... Engineering out in the northwestern Foothills of your Marine Corps Base camp Pendleton heard 4 large birds miles length! Almost always get a cell phone signal with Verizon also beautiful campsites along... Long suspension bridges flat, Great hike and wildlife down to the Trail into thirteenaccessible sections feet. We knew we had to hike back to Devils Fork State Park once were and.. Peaks of the Trail by 8:05, not bad friend the next mile of section. A cell phone signal with Verizon also and south/westbound, but theres more to heartbreak ridge foothills trail about this was! Trail GuidebookHiking South Carolinas Foothills Trail Thru-Hiker 1/4 mile jogging path a very special to... Start and stop your timer on the Trail is Great for hiking, and it got down to Bartram. Than 500 steep steps up Heartbreak Ridge & quot ; let that fool you had failed to us...

Animals With Worst Sense Of Smell, Articles H