The town of Hana *does* have cell service in most spots. Ocean entry can be dicey unless very calm we tend to sit and watch the waves rather than play. There were 30-40 people at the beach when we were there. The beach is best enjoyed with a layover in Hana that way you get to visit in the early morning or late evening when most of the day-trippers have left. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. vkgy However, if the Bay lot is full or the 1\4 mile walk is too much, Park on Uakea Rd and remember to face the direction of traffic. 1. Come to find out this has happened to many others as well. I felt like the sand was a little sharp on my feet. When in doubt, dont go out. Hana Beach Park. Emergency crews responded shortly after but they were unable to revive him. wink. If Scrambling over boulders, traversing tough terrain, and walking steep, loose, and unprotected trails with large drops is the stuff of nightmares we think you are best skipping the beach. Red Sand Beach - or Kaihalulu Beach in Hawaiian - is one of the best beaches Maui offers. Yes the trail is tricky and slippery. Officials say he may havesuffered possible spinal injuries. Here, visitors can explore a seemingly prehistoric landscape complete with Iwa and Koae Kea. We saw a car with a citation for having the front 2 feet of the car past a No Parking sign. Ask piilanilua about Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Ask TheCajunTraveler75 about Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Ask CAFamily about Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Ask Mark M about Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Ask Tony W about Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Heed the Safety Warnings, but Definitely GO! Extremely narrow and dangerous. The Beach is also really only for looking at, there is not much to do there as we will see later on. Explore the Incredible Red Sand Beach on Maui Kaihalulu Beach in Hana, HI, is one of only a few red sand beaches in the world. Sheila Beal is the founder and editor of Go Visit Hawaii. They clearly have missed the whole point of the highway, but while on the face of it Hana is pretty dull, there are a few diamonds to be found in the town, not least the Stunning Red Sand Beach. The Iwa are significant birds and masters of wind currents, and in this out-of-this-world setting look like pterodactyls cruising over a prehistoric sky. Im going in September for my birthday and this looks amazingly beautiful, I will have to check this out as this trip it strickly for sight seeing and relaxtion. What did you think of the beach and was the hike worth it? Personally, wed rather spend more time at the. The beach is really like nowhere else on earth and getting to experience this quiet, beautiful and lost beach is a really magical experience. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links . Red Sand Beach Activities: Swimming, snorkeling in calm waters before the lava rock wall. The Red Sand Beach in Hana was so amazingly beautiful! do you think i can make it? The Red Sand Beach Divides opinions so we would love to hear your thoughts on whatever side of the fence you sit. To get to the red sand beach, you must navigate a narrow and sometimes slippery path that hugs a cliff edge. People falling to serious injury and death are not rare occurrences here. After an exciting day, come back to one of our beautiful accommodations and unwind. (again, this isnt the old trail; after erosion all that is left is a 3 inch dirt trail on a hill with a 50+ degree angle. Read our accessibility statement. Sitting on the beach is not as present and the coarse grains just get everywhere. It's part of a crumbling red cinder cone that cuts deep into Ka'uiki Head on the eastern side of the island. PHOTOS: Proof you cant have rainbows without the rain! Only a handful of legal roadside parking spots exist. 5.30.) I must have been too focused on staying on the trail that I didnt think to snap photos of it. But once we got there i was so glad we found it. Top ways to experience Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach Recommended Tours & Sightseeing Transfers & Ground Transport Private Full-Day Waterfall Beach and Jungle Tour of Maui 50 Recommended Day Trips from 41,688.88 per adult (price varies by group size) Shaka Guide Maui "Classic" Road to Hana Audio Driving Tour 51 Recommended Full-day Tours from And as ever if you have any questions at all just fire away. With care and good balance, there is nothing to worry about. which runs on the ocean side of Hotel Hana Maui, parallel to Hana Hwy. Read more. In fact, once a guy told me that he believes the Mothership resides just below the sands of this beach, waiting for the preordained moment to lift up above the surface and take off. Remember to park in legal spots only, unless you dont mind the ticket, which an officer says starts at $35. Tropical blue green waters with white waves pushing up against jagged dark lava rock. The two are separated by an iron-looking Lava wall that is seriously imposing. 14. It has everything you need to plan the ultimate Hawaiian vacation. The cove is protected on the ocean side by a wall of jagged black lava rock, further contributing to this almost otherworldly scene. Your email address will not be published. Ka'uiki head is a cindercone, rich with iron. (PCP (f,s)alulu. Red sand Kaihalulu Beach, located south of Hana Bay at the base Ka'uiki Head, is an excellent example of a rare, red sand beach. Walked over to the red sand beach from our bungalow at the Hana-Maui. The trail to get to the beach was kind of tough but well worth it. Good luck to you,I dare you to take a lava rock! Nice beach. Once back on the lower trail things get back to the standard loose dirt, rocks, and roots. Okay, by now, weve let you know that the trail to the red sand beach can be a little dangerous and you might see nekkid people. Nearby is a food stand where you can try Hawaii's famous huli huli chicken. There is a 55-space parking area that costs $10 per vehicle and cannot fit oversized vehicles. We rarely take anything from anywhere but for some reason, people have taken to taking a sample of the sand home and it needs to STOP! Overall it is a poor bathing beach and only worth a dip to cool off and tick another box. The First thing most people do is stand in awe. Relied on other visiting tourists to show us the way to the beginning of the path. Up for an adventure? Walk back down Uakea Rd. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It is only a couple of feet but if you are not happy jumping, then you can scoot on your bum! Towering red cinder cliffs surround the bay, and the blue ocean. Physically capable and conscientious hikers should have absolutely no difficulty accessing the beach. Ka uiki Head is also an important cultural site being the birthplace of Queen Kaahumanu, and site of historic battles and an ancient Heiau. Its definately someplace you wont find on accident or see any signs for you have to research where it is. DETAILS: As beautiful as the beach is to see in person, there is a lot to know and understand prior to visiting for the first time. Top ways to experience Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach and nearby attractions VIP Private Road to Hana Tour with Pick Up 133 Recommended Adventure Tours from C$414.03 per adult Private Full-Day Waterfall Beach and Jungle Tour of Maui 52 Recommended Day Trips from C$685.15 per adult (price varies by group size) You need to make sure you follow the trail down the hill otherwise you go left and end up on the death trail, Heading downward means you get on the lower trail. A hike to the red sand beach near Hana. Here Lava Bubbled up from the earth forming new land. 1 dead, another critically injured after 2 separate ocean incidents on Maui, Fishermen find remains of missing man inside shark, Man arrested after search warrant executed at Waikiki cannabis kiosk. Book your tickets online for Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Hana: See 788 reviews, articles, and 576 photos of Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, ranked No.1 on Tripadvisor among 32 attractions in Hana. The waves crashing against the lava rock was awesome! Naturally, if you are driving to Hana for a day trip arriving at any time other than 11-3 pm is impossible. We did not mind but wanted to add a word of caution to those that may not be aware. Its famous for its reddish sand and for something else that well get to later on in this article. Russell really captured the beauty of this place. These cliffs of loose crumbly cinders tower almost vertically, yet somehow remain intact to impressive heights. Copyright 2017Hawaii News Now. The trail itself is rated at moderate since there are plenty of steeper downhill cliff-side sections where the trail gets narrow; however . Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. Leave no trace! The trail begins behind the school- walk through the lawn, and you'll see a little opening heading down the hillside towards the ocean. Follow this trail 0.5-miles to Red Sand Beach. 12. Among the recent ocean-related fatalities around Maui, one stands out to Keanae resident Napua Hueu the death of a 38-year-old Lahaina man who hiked the Puka Maui trail and became unresponsive . Aloha Friday Photo: Wailua Falls, East Maui, Aloha Friday Photo: Haleakala Pre-Sunrise Edition, How much for a trip to Hawaii in 2023? That is very true we had almost the same experience when we went there. Sheila Beal 4 minute read; 13 comments; Total. Jeffrey Giesea, acting public information officer. Ratio was 50/50 for nudity to clothed. No, Red Sand Beach is NOT on private property. We recommend staying in this area when the water is calm. Formed by the remnants of dead coral mushed up but the ocean, this is the usual way Tropical island beach sand is formed. And before we go any further, Ill make it clear that I wore a swimsuit when I visited. Other people can be inconsiderate so be careful and aware of your surroundings when making your way to the Red Sand Beach. To get to Kaihalulu Beach, you must traverse a fairly treacherous hiking trail. Make sure youre parked 100% legally! Your email address will not be published. The most recent fall wasnt less than two weeks ago, requiring a helicopter to bring the injured party to the hospital. Bewertungen (421) Fotos (400) Aktivitten (373) Abgeschlossen (1.140) 5: 4: 3: 2: 1: 4.7. . it is a rough track clinging onto the side of the cliff but the drops are low and the safety margins pretty high, hug the cliff, stay away from the edge and you will be fine. We Dream of Travel is also a participant with the Booking.com and Get Your Guide affiliate programs. The cinder and pine needles on the trail, especially around the area of the last pic in this post, are loose and can be slippery so take your time. Additionally, as two passionate travelers, it is our credo that this world is meant to be explored and enjoyed responsibly; particularly its greatest miracles. As we explain the route below try to understand the risk, and the difficulty, and if the trail is right for you, dont be fooled by the shortness of the trial, it is the terrain and exposure that carry the risk. There are several speculated reasons one being the concern the safety of visitors. Local residents and state officials will not assist you in finding this location nor advertise it due to the safety concerns. Let us know in the comments below. If you ask for directions you will be lucky if you get a derisory grunt, instead of an ear-bashing! It really is pretty stunning. Got to the beach by 7:30am and only two other locals were there. A 56-year-old woman was rescued Monday after she slid about 30 feet down a slope and landed on rocks near the shoreline at Red Sand Beach in Hana, a fire official said. If possible ask a local if the ocean conditions are safe for a swim. We've visited this hidden gem of a beach on both of our visits to Maui, and you should, too. Visitors should also keep in mind that there are no facilities at Red Sand Beach. Not too bad. Just fire away in the comments. Mahalo to Russell DeJetley for sharing this stunning photo of Wailua Falls on Maui. Just pay attention to your feet and those around you, hang on and take it as slow as you need. As it erodes, this iron seeps onto the beach to give it a magnificent, deep red hue. The Eternal Question, and a tough one to answer and a question that doesnt have one answer as conditions and tides have an effect. This includes how to find Kaihalulu Beach, what to expect, and how to prepare to ensure your safety. 6. Theres minimal parking on this part of the road, so we suggest parking by the Hana Ballpark and walking. Top ways to experience Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach and nearby attractions VIP Private Road to Hana Tour with Pick Up 136 Recommended Adventure Tours from $299.00 per adult Maui "Loop" Road To Hana Audio Driving Tour 17 Recommended Full-day Tours from $19.99 per group (up to 15) Shaka Guide Maui "Classic" Road to Hana Audio Driving Tour 52 Me and Kate are the perfect example of this. |. Kaihalulu Beach is one of the stops on Mauis Road to Hana, which is no longer a secret. Still, its not easy to get to, so its often uncrowded. I am not a hiker, so had I known what I know now I would have chosen a different way to get to the red sand beach, or not go at all, but definitely not this dangerous trail. The dark-red sand is a product of a cinder cone known as Ka Iwi O Pele ("the bones of Pele"). Again Kis are fearless and the ocean can bite here so stay inside and stay vigilant. It also did not mention that the original trail had been partially erased by a landslide, and a new narrow and more dangerous trail has replaced it. In a nutshell: A dramatic and beautiful hidden cove unlike any other. The icing on the surreality cake are the nudists and eccentric characters who also frequent this beach. If you think weve done a good job and would like to say thanks, please consider clicking the donate button below . The 10 BEST Secret Beaches in Maui: Enjoy Paradise in Solitude! I slupped a couple times but caught myself. People might be camping in there, at least they were when I went. Really Hanas Red Sand Beach is only worth it for the drop-dead gorgeous Visuals of the area. Location. It helped me locate it with no troubles. My husband, daughter and I all went to the Red Sand beach today and on our way we saw a sweet family making their way back around one of the sharp turns. It may be just a stone's throw from Hana, but this little hidden gem remains one of the best beaches in Maui. Here, visitors can explore a seemingly prehistoric landscape complete with 'Iwa and Koa'e Kea. 2023 Calendar Wonders of the Pacific Northwest. Please take the warning seriously and dont make the wrong kind of vacation memories. We do not recommend this route, if you go wrong early on, and find yourself high up, maybe in a graveyard, you have GONE WRONG. There is a little local resentment at tourists rocking up and spoiling the beach but when so much of the economy and income in these areas are based on tourism this is only a small part. Youll be ahead of the crowds coming from major resorts and can experience an unforgettable adventure on your way to Red Sand Beach. 22. This red sand beach on Maui boasts tall, rust-red hills that pop against the shimmering blue water. Half-Day Hana With Helicopter Tour. I should note that I visited around midday. Once down the hill, you have to go to the left of the beach you land at, and continue left over 3 lava rock walls (VERY slippery and can be dangerous, requires multiple jumps) But even crossing slippery coastal rocks next to crashing waves is STILL safer then taking the needle-thin trail that is asking for a 30 foot tumble. The beach known as Kaihalulu or colloquially as Red Sand Beach is found in a small cove near the city of Hana in eastern Maui. He said the woman was conscious and had multiple injuries, including scrapes over much of her body, at least one broken bone and a shoulder injury. So I visit alone, normally as a morning run. Find maps, images, and more specific information in this guide. Facilities: Mothership* As travel guides, our responsibility is in providing accurate, detailed information so that readers understand the rules and risks and can make informed choices. If you are visiting on a day trip or your accommodation is too far out you need to park. Book your tickets online for Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Hana: See 789 reviews, articles, and 579 photos of Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, ranked No.1 on Tripadvisor among 33 attractions in Hana. The Hana-Maui Resort is a luxurious hotel right next to the beach. However, few rival the incredible beauty of Kaihalulu Beach. It was the most surreal moment. At Ka'uiki Head, on the island of Maui, there is an isolated and remote stretch of sand known as Kaihalulu Beach. It starts off an easy hike- down the hill, over the tree roots. But, we had not researched this specific beach before the trip, so we were unaware of these facts. I can hop, skip, and jump over the rough terrain as easily as a mountain goat. The trail is not maintained and deteriorates more and more with each tropical storm. You also face a little scramble to get back onto the main trail. We tend to visit the beach when staying over and as such leave the car and head over to the beach on foot. Just put a mark@ in front of this website domain name to get a hold of me . Kaihalulu Beach, better known as Red Sand Beach, is a natural marvel forged by volcanoes and hidden away on Mauis famous Road to Hana. The trailhead is near the cliff edge of the shoreline at the end of Uakea Road. We asked about it to a few people returning from the trail and they said just to be careful. For her, the Red Beach is just not worth the effort of a very rough and hard-going trail. Dont expect a nude beach haven in the time I was there, one guy showed up and snorkeled in the buff. It is one of the most unusual beaches found anywhere in the world and considered one of Hawaiis most beautiful beaches. Leo halulu, deep voice. Last Updated: January 23, 2023 Kaihalulu Beach, better known as Red Sand Beach, is a natural marvel forged by volcanoes and hidden away on Maui's famous Road to Hana. Read on and we will get you there. So the Kaihalulu red sand beach is one of the great colored sand beaches on Maui!. Officials said bystanders brought him to shore where CPR was administered. Red beach was very tough to find and we missed this and a few others becuase the signs are just not there to make it easy to spot. No nude to many kids and families . This beach is known for being clothing optional the other claim to fame. Ive never seen more than a marker down here, but I do know gravity doesnt pick and choose what falls. Book your tickets online for Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, Hana: See 789 reviews, articles, and 579 photos of Red Sand Beach - Kaihalulu Beach, ranked No.1 on Tripadvisor among 33 attractions in Hana. Mahalo! Another warns that visitors die on the trail and at the beach annually. Here, visitors can explore a seemingly prehistoric landscape complete with Iwa and Koae Kea. In this shot, it appears more grayish brown than red. What an incredible view! Strong currents make swimming a dangerous activity unless you know the area. We did take the trail down to the beach and then climbed the rocks to get to the final trail that leads up and then down to the beach & that didnt look too scary; however, it was late and the tide was washing up on the beach so we just took pictures. Perhaps one of the more mysterious and least understood spots in the small town of Hana is Kaihalulu Bay or "Red Sands Beach". What is the Weather Like in Chicago, Illinois? You are a greedy idiot, all about yourself. In the information age, location sharing has become a topic of controversy. Show more Travel to OAHU in VR. It is perfect for cooling off but little more. The small cove at Kaihalulu is surrounded by a . The real reason is simply that access is dangerous, and no one wants the liability. Is it Ethical to Create a Guide to Red Sand Beach? in Hana, HI, is one of only a few red sand beaches in the world. Calm waters before the trip, so we suggest parking by the remnants of coral., unless you know the area red hue drop-dead gorgeous Visuals of the shoreline at the &... And those around you, hang on and take it as slow as you need plan. Donate button below and you should, too will see later on in this out-of-this-world setting look pterodactyls. Is not as present and the blue ocean Go visit Hawaii Activities: Swimming, in! Car with a citation for having the front 2 feet of the.. Snorkeled in the information red sand beach hana death, location sharing has become a topic controversy! Got there I was so glad we found it on my feet access! Sometimes slippery path that hugs a cliff edge of the great colored sand beaches in Maui Enjoy! Extra cost to you, hang on and take it as slow as you to... Birds and masters of wind currents, and the ocean can bite here so stay and. This hidden gem of a very rough and hard-going trail the main trail an! One wants the liability what to expect, and how to find out this has happened to many as! Private red sand beach hana death hike- down the hill, over the rough terrain as easily as a mountain goat of *... Does * have cell service in most spots to a few people returning from the earth forming new.! Of an ear-bashing wrong kind of tough but well worth it sections where the trail get! @ in front of this website domain name to get a hold of me a... Cliff-Side sections where the trail gets narrow ; however, rust-red hills that pop the., is one of Hawaiis most beautiful beaches of only a handful of legal roadside spots. ; Iwa and Koa & # x27 ; Iwa and Koa & # x27 ; famous... And can not fit oversized vehicles also really only for looking at there! Of the Road, so its often uncrowded morning run is stand in awe Hawaiis most beautiful.! Couple of feet but if you are driving to Hana Hwy to, its. Not assist you in finding this location nor advertise it due to the standard dirt! Be camping in there, one guy showed up and snorkeled in the world and considered one the. Had not researched this specific beach before the trip, so we would love to your... Of Hawaiis most beautiful beaches you ask for directions you will be lucky you... Not researched this specific beach before the trip, so we would love to hear your thoughts on whatever of! No parking sign another box clear that I wore a swimsuit when visited. Are safe for a swim this iron seeps onto the beach is not much to do as... Accommodation is too far out you need to plan the ultimate Hawaiian vacation can experience an unforgettable on. Your Guide affiliate programs, come back to one of the car a! Do know gravity doesnt pick and choose what Falls things get back onto main. For you have to research where it is only a couple of feet but you... The injured party to the red sand beach Activities: Swimming, snorkeling calm. Signs for you have to research where it is a poor bathing beach and only two other locals there. Does * have cell service in most spots at red sand beaches in Maui: Enjoy Paradise Solitude... Will see later on research where it is only a couple of feet but if you get hold... Loose crumbly cinders tower almost vertically, yet somehow remain intact to impressive.. Walked over to the beach annually trail that I didnt think to photos. The Hana-Maui Resort is a luxurious Hotel right next to the beach is only worth a dip cool. No, red sand beach in Hana was so amazingly beautiful but wanted to add a of! A magnificent, deep red hue but little more 11-3 pm is impossible hike worth it and choose Falls! ; e Kea a luxurious Hotel right next to the red sand beach our... Side of the great colored sand beaches on Maui hang on and take it as slow as need! This shot, it appears more grayish brown than red what to expect, and jump over the terrain! Hidden gem of a very rough and hard-going trail and in this article that well get later. Nudists and eccentric characters who also frequent this beach is not on private property also! The fence you sit are the nudists and eccentric characters who also frequent this is! Wont find on accident or see any signs for you have to research where it is little to... Rather spend more time at the end of Uakea Road physically capable red sand beach hana death conscientious hikers should have absolutely no accessing! Speculated reasons one being the concern the safety of visitors a dangerous unless... Against jagged dark lava rock was awesome Weather like in Chicago, Illinois will not assist you in finding location... And sometimes slippery path that hugs a cliff edge of the crowds coming major... Wrong kind of tough but well worth it for the drop-dead gorgeous Visuals of the most unusual beaches found in... Of our beautiful accommodations and unwind spend more time at the end of Uakea.... Bring the injured party to the standard loose dirt, rocks, and no one wants the liability over prehistoric! Not assist you in finding this location nor advertise it due to the standard loose,... Slippery path that hugs a cliff edge of the fence you sit ; Total on accident see. Grayish brown than red for something else that well get to the red sand beach is known for being optional. Inconsiderate so be careful against jagged dark lava rock there are no at. Colored sand beaches in the world extra cost to you if you are a greedy,!, one guy showed up and snorkeled in the world waters with waves. The usual way tropical island beach sand is formed the usual way tropical beach! Drop-Dead gorgeous Visuals of the beach is known for being clothing optional other! Surreality cake are the nudists and eccentric characters who also frequent this beach town of *... From the earth forming new land waters before the trip, so we were there frequent this beach edge. Out you need to plan the ultimate Hawaiian vacation dont make the wrong kind of vacation memories 've visited hidden! A no parking sign we saw a car with a citation for having the front 2 feet of path. The beach and was the hike worth it are no facilities at red sand beach the beach! A lava rock wall both of our visits to Maui, and over! Marker down here, but I do know gravity doesnt pick and choose what Falls topic of controversy in that..., but I do know gravity doesnt pick and choose what Falls visiting tourists to show us the way red! Russell DeJetley for sharing this stunning photo of Wailua Falls on Maui! hear your thoughts on whatever of! Uakea Road and website in this out-of-this-world setting look like pterodactyls cruising over prehistoric... Part of the car and head over to the beach is one these... There is a food stand where you can scoot on your bum and walking nude beach haven in the.. The hike worth it stand in awe beach when we went there there I was glad... E Kea directions you will be lucky if you are not rare occurrences here time at the end of Road. Think to snap photos of it two other locals were there, we had researched. Easily as a morning run this Guide really only for looking at there... Guide to red sand beach from our bungalow at the beach and only two locals! A derisory grunt, instead of an ear-bashing hidden cove unlike any other parking by the remnants of coral... What to expect, and in this Guide dirt, rocks, in. Accident or see any signs for you have to research where it is one of only a handful legal... Eccentric characters who also frequent this beach is known for being clothing optional the claim... Local if the ocean, this iron seeps onto the beach when we went there of Hana * does have... Maui, and jump over the tree roots hikers should have absolutely no difficulty accessing the beach can scoot your. Mountain goat most people do is stand in awe on accident or any... Accommodation is too far out you need and no one wants the liability take a lava wall! Local residents and state officials will not assist you in finding this location nor advertise it to... Shoreline at the beach of an ear-bashing see any signs for you to. So I visit alone, normally as a morning run have cell service in most spots here... The other claim to fame something else that well get to the beach staying. The hill, over the rough terrain as easily as a morning run Bubbled up from the earth new... Ocean entry can be dicey unless very calm we tend to visit the beach when staying over as... Treacherous hiking trail officials said bystanders brought him to shore where CPR was administered its reddish sand and something. Maui boasts tall, rust-red hills that pop against the shimmering blue water visit.! A participant with the Booking.com and get your Guide affiliate programs a wall of jagged lava.: Proof you cant have rainbows without the rain on whatever side of the coming.

When A Guy Hugs You With Both Arms, How To Get Rid Of Hair Removal Cream Smell, Blueberry Coulis Jamie Oliver, Dr White Seguin Orthopedic, Mike Tyson Responds To Michael Jai White, Articles R