I would like to report the final decision me and my family has decided. HELLO JETLAG 2021 | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED |. This town shares many of the charming traits of Rothenburg but is off the beaten path. With that said, a few site users have said that they would find a breakdown of distances between the places quite useful in planning their holiday on the Romantic Road. If you are at the point of planning your overnight stays for your Romantic Road travels, Rothenburg is a great choice. It has managed to maintain its late medieval appearance and is incredibly romantic, especially at night. After spending some time in Nordlingen, drive to Augsburg (1 hour). For info on how to see the Romantic Road via public transportation click here. Then take an evening walk through the historical town with its night watchman, who is on patrol in the illuminated city center at night. All rights reserved. There is a 460km (286 mile) long network of designated cycleways on the Romantic Road, and cycling is one of the most popular ways of traveling it. After touring Neuschwanstein, spend a little time walking around the small village of Schwangau and then make the quick drive to Fussen (5 minutes) and spend the rest of the day here. If we return the car at Nuremberg then catch the train again to Munich will be too exhausting. Answer 11 of 11: We are a family with young children will be driving Frankfurt-Rothenburg-Munich this summur with schedule as follows: 1. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83303411', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Munich, or totally skip it if all other ways are too costly or complicated. It took us to the outer wall, and along backroads where restaurants were just starting to turn their lights on. Total euro 637 split the cost between 2 families, we will have to pay euro 320 per family. Hi Shirley! Thank you SO much for coming back to let me know! Recommend, dont take car rather take a train ride to Rothenburg and enjoy hardly full 24 hours. a nice small place. You can only add up to 10 items in the list. RELATED POST: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VISITING NEUSCHWANSTAIN CASTLE. You could definitely prolong it to one week if you spend a few extra days in a location of your choice. Must return car at Munich hbf by 16:00. The cultural highlight of Wrzburg is theRoyal Residenz, one of the finest royal palaces in all of Europe. About 4 hours total on the road. This blog is all about the best adventures around the world. Highlights include a magnificent staircase, the chapel, and the Imperial Hall. Or, you could check in first to Hotel Das Rbezahl, a spa hotel at the base of the Alps with a welcoming fire going in the lobby, a glass of sparkling wine on arrival, and views of the castle from bedroom balconies. Google image search some of these towns and see if it gives you a bit of inspiration for your trip! Stopping in the little towns along the way (if time permits). Perhaps the bus could have gone through again in the opposite direction. Wander the narrow alleys of medieval Rothenburg as well as walking along the sentries walk on the town walls are free and for many the best part of visiting this medieval town. Baden Baden to Frankfurt (2 hr). The area is beautiful and you should have more than enough to do. RELATED POST :5 THINGS TO DO IN FUSSEN GERMANY. . If you have any questions about Romantic Road in Bavaria, feel free to add them in the comments. A ticket costs 13 Euros for adults, and it always comes with a specified time slot. Augsburg is the third oldest city in Germany and one of the largest cities in Bavaria. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83381252', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Munich. All it took was one quick Google search and I was sold.. the Romantic Road sounded like magic. 2. Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber is one of the most famous and picturesque destinations on the Romantic Road. Unless you think it's supremely important to hit every single RR town on your way south, trains provide a cheap way to see MOST of the RR towns. If you wish, you can make a stop in Augsburg on the way. Appreciate it very much. Learn more. About 4 hours total on the road driving . sometimes get lost in the marketing shuffle and the stressful rush from one "ticked" historic sight to another. But, honestly speaking, you will be done visiting Fssen quite fast since the real highlights are situated out of the town. We've done it and it's not fun. What I didnt realize is that theres not actually anything to see in some of the towns. Ive always wanted to go to Lech (1 hr 15min from Ruette). Thank you very much in advance for your valuable input. It is about half-way between Frankfurt and Rothenburg and allows you to leave the autobahn earlier. ric sites and birthplaces, and medieval architecture, are the best. I am trying to find a scenic, romantic trip with my wife that would do that. Search Activities . Touring Tours & Travel GmbH (Romantic Road Coach). Pick up your rental car in Frankfurt and drive to Wurzburg. Great care is taken in writing these articles but no responsibility is taken for errors or omissions. Rothenburg. Duration of this private tour will be around 10-12 hours . For example, your explanation about ticketing at Neuschwanstein is so helpful to us! of local riesling at Brgerspital restaurant caps off a drive that actually lives up to its billing. Each town has so much to see, and the shopping alone would require a week! This rococo masterpiece is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is a pilgrimage site. I want to do romantic road and see neuschwanstein castle. Copyright Veronikas Adventure 2016 | Disclaimer. Continue the trip through the hilly landscapes all the way to Dinkelsbhl, a town that is a nearly perfect example of German urban architecture. This was our itinerary when traveling the Romantic Road (except we did it backwards). When I picture a romantic road, a slow, windy route through perfect scenery comes to mind. Many of the itineraries I have seen so far are one way, 7-day tours, so I am still searching. Well organised and all good. The history of the impressive castle dates back to 1150, but the little town has much more to . Read more about me. Venture through the heart of Germany to Rothenburg ob-der-Tauber, one of the best-preserved medieval towns in all of Europe. Start your exploration in the compact city center. That is a huge number, especially for such a small town like Hohenschwangau. All it took was one quick Google search and I was sold.. the Romantic Road sounded like magic. Visit the Harburg Castle, one of the best-preserved castles in Germany (10 entry fee charged locally) Enjoy the stroll through the medieval town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. in a Geo on the Autobahn? Personally, I didnt love Nordlingen so we only spent about an hour and a half here before moving on. Drive along panoramic byways to see fairy tale castles, medieval towns with ancient fortifications, and plenty of quaint shops. Related reading from the blog:I loved Wrzburg! After passing a handful of villages, heading slowly around traffic circles, you'll wonder if the locals care you're hereit all seems so peaceful and quiet. So instead of touring palaces, we ordered a glass of local wine and took a walk across the famous Alt Mainbruecke bridge. Maybe pop into Austria because the border is basically in Fussen. Romantic Road - the perfect road trip through Bavaria. The interior of the castle can be visited on a guided tour only. Related reading from the blog:If you can, always choose the low season over the high season. Despite its inevitably large crowds, I still fell in love with Rothenburgs charm and highly recommend spending some time here. Gray Line Munchener Stadtrundfahrten: Great day in Winter Wonderland - See 2,823 traveller reviews, 429 candid photos, and great deals for Munich, Germany, at Tripadvisor. On a tour through one of the largest, oldest and best-preserved castles in southern Germany, you will get impressive insights into a long gone time. I would suggest staying the night INSIDE the walls of Rothenburg. It's actually about 250 km. By subscribing to our newsletter(s) you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookie Statement. and Augsburg with the three medieval walled towns of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbhl and Nrdlingen, and then finishes off with the tourist highlights of Neuschwanstein Castle and the Alps. Based (very) loosely on the old Roman route between the participating towns and adding in some stunning medieval locations to the north, the concept of the Romantic Road is a little bit like the British "ploughman's lunch" - a marketing idea which appears to be based on history and tradition but which is actually a much more modern invention. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. Bamberg is wonderful. In the summer, the castle receives as many as 6,000 visitors per day. Fewer visitors visit the romantic sights directly to the south of Rothenburg allowing those who do to enjoy these sights in relative peace and quiet. Does my schedule make sense in terms of hourly plans? There's also a complicated history of the Fuggerei's rebirth following a WWII bombing raid, made all the more real by the mini-museum's setting in a bunker. Drive out Rothenburg by 13:00 to Munich via romantic road. Learn more 11 hours (approx.) These days coach parties from all over the world can be seen at the most popular stops along the way, the route signs along the way are in German and Japanese, and in 2010 the Romantic Road celebrated its 60th birthday. Whats interesting are the towns on it. Fortunately the hotel we have booked at Rothenburg is free cancellation and the cars rental booking is also free cancellation. Fairytale countryside with churches and villages . Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. Anyway, all the best for your trip! Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of the most popular stops on the Romantic Road and for many travelers the highlight of a visit to Germany. One of the biggest events in Munich is called the Tollwood Festival where they have tons of live music, vendors, food/drinks etc. I would recommend Dinkelsbuehl instead any day. The price will be Frankfurt-Rothenburg euro 251 then Rothenburg-Munich euro 376. Alternatively, you may use, http://thegoodlifewithiq.com/2017/07/02/a-road-trip-through-germany-part-4-the-romantic-road/. Overnight hotel guests may enjoy Rothenburg in the evenings and early mornings in relative tranquility to soak up the very romantic atmosphere. But Augsburg is not only about the sights. January 31, 2023 by Henk Bekker in Bavaria, Germany, Romantic Road, Tauber Valley. Romantic Road, Rothenburg, and Harburg Day Tour from Munich 779 Reviews Mnchen, Germany Share Save to Wishlist From $66.78 Lowest Price Guarantee Select Date and Travelers Check Availability Reserve Now & Pay Later Secure your spot while staying flexible Free cancellation Up to 24 hours in advance. Required fields are marked *. But then, to return to Frankfurt, went through Austria and Switzerland to then turn north back to the airport. We will be staying in Starnberg as our base and doing day trips from there. If you have the time and good weather, you can consider a trip to one of the stunning lakes in the surroundings. Filed Under: Bavaria, Germany, Romantic Road, Tauber Valley Tagged With: 2022J1, Augsburg, Fssen, J1, J2022, Landsberg, Mad King Ludwig, Nrdlingen, P21, R21, Romantic Road, Romantische Strae, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Schloss Neuschwanstein, UNESCO, Wieskirche, Wrzburg. The German Romantic Road is one of the biggest magnets for tourism in the southern provinces of Bavaria and Baden-Wrttemberg. 10. Renting a . Plus, it is not possible to do so after 3 pm German time. For your purposes, Bavaria starts in Wrzburg. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. DAY 2: Rothenburg Nrdlingen This is one of the most popular things to do in Wurzburg, with some of the best views of the city. It is a nearly intact medieval walled-city without a single modern building within. With only 2 nights, is it better to stay in these 2 places or stay 2 nights at one? I understand that you don't want to pay the rental for more than a day. There will be time for sightseeing, lunch and shopping. If youre looking to save money, pick a hotel or B&B outside the city walls. Perhaps the most famous town on the "Romantic Road", Rothenburg is indeed a jewel. It's actually about 250 km. We will start a 2 weeks holiday, big luggages and kids in the picture. Follow the RR South to Augsburg and then turn off onto the highway A8 to Munich. What was your favorite stop? You could cut Berchtesgaden and drive straight to Salzburg from Fussen (2 hr 45 min and the drive is BEAUTIFUL). Hello, we are thinking of spending one night in Rothenburg/Colmburg (coming from Munich) and one night in Fussen (then going to Salzburg). There are many nicknames given to this 19th-century palace perched on a steep hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Fssen in southwest Bavaria. Have you been on the Romantic Road Germany road trip? In the summer, its popular for boating, sunbathing and swimming (there is even a beach). These days coach parties from all over the world can be seen at the most popular stops along the way, the route signs along the way are in German and Japanese, and in 2010 the Romantic Road celebrated its 60th birthday. The easiest way to travel the Romantic Road is by car. Google for a) Romantic Road and b) Rothenburg ob der Tauber tourist office (attention - there are several Rothenburgs in Germany). Also the out of the way places to visit and things to do to avoid crowds are very useful to us. RELATED POST: ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER // GERMANYS MOST PICTURESQUE MEDIEVAL WALLED CITY. Share. . Best Price Guarantee. If not, spend the night in Augsburg. My recommendation is to drive only as far as Miltenberg, a lovely little town right by the Main river, and spend the first night there. From Fussen enroute to Munich. What would you cut out entirely from your itinerary and what small towns would you add to the end of your trip after Fussen. There, you'll have time to wander around on your own, have lunch, or go shopping. Free time to sightsee, shop, and explore is included at each stop. Built in the 8th century and surrounded by a few fortified walls, the town of Dinkelsbhl is essentially Rothenburgs little sister. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83303520', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');car so we don't need to drag big luggages around too much. The road distance is 248.8 km. glenn_col. al places and we were able to enjoy our time on the Romantic Road. Dinkelsbhls romantic old town, half-timbered buildings, an interesting church, and an intact town wall. Plus you will most likely hit the rush hour if it is a weekday - not a good start into your vacation at all. When you conjure up an image of a quintessential German town, chances are you embodied everything Dinkelsbuhl has to offer. One of the biggest religious attractions in the Pfaffenwinkel is the Wieskirche a church in the middle of the south Bavarian countryside near Steingaden. 1. Plus, who goes "wooo!" It also inspired imagery in the Disney animationPinocchio. Dinkelsbuhl was untouched during WWII and it remains one of the best preserved medieval towns in Germany, as well as a former Free Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire. The next day, explore Rothenburg by foot. For a list of things to do, what to eat and where to stay in Fussen, click my related post below. Then we return to Munich via the Hallertau, the largest hop-growing region in the world. The bus trip was great, a lovely way to slowly make our way into Rothenburg, longer break stops would Of been nicer, to allow for lunch and a beer. Get the car rental and should hit the road by 16:00. Book one activity and receive a coupon for {{string_target}} off your second activity. For me, Wrzburg is one of the most charming cities of the Romantic Road in Germany. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83369487', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Frankfurt airport and to Munich hbf. Have fun on your trip! If there is, pls suggest one. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. By the way, Rothenburg has been featured in various movies, including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. After exploring Rothenburg, you'll return to Munich via Hallertau, the largest hop-growing region in the world - the end of a day well spent in one of the most romantic and picturesque roads in the world. We did a day trip via Grayline (booked on viator.com) to the medieval city, Rothenburg and Castle Harburg via the Romantic Road. Also worth seeing in Rothenburg is the Holy Blood Altar (Heilig Blut) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the St.-Jakobs-Kirche. First, a disclaimer: the towns and villages mentioned on the RomanticRoadGermany website are not the only places that you can visit along the route. If you decide to stay longer, the most popular things to do are visit the Old Town Hall, The Schaezlerpalais palace and Fuggerei, the worlds oldest social housing complex, where rent has not been raised in 500 years and its residents still pay .88 euro each year. We'll spend whatever is left of the evening roaming Rothenburg, take the night watchman's tour, spend the night, walk around in Rothenburg again early in the morning before the crowds arrive and then leisurely drive back down the romantic road, stopping as we please until arriving back in Munich, dropping off our rental car and spending the . April 25, 2022 . A friend of mine, years ago, told me of his itinerary that started in Frankfurt, rented a car to drive south and see all the main stops. Probably a bit too long at Neushwanstein castle. From Zurich to Basel (1 hr 15 min). Rothenburg is hugely popular but most visitors are day-trippers that arrive mid-morning and depart by late afternoon. It may make sense then to drop it off in Nuremberg and go to Munich by train from there. Romantic Road: Rothenburg & Harburg Tour From Munich Travel the Romantic Road through the German countryside and visit the 11th century Harburg Castle, Gemany's oldest castle 10.5 Hours Mobile & printed vouchers accepted Free Cancellation Highlights Take a guided Tour of beautiful, romantic Harburg Castle Our guide, Ms. Hanae was wonderful and acted in a very professional manner. Hi Marcella! Over 2.5 million people visit Rothenburg each year but only 500,000 book a room. Rothenburg. The first visitors were friends and families of the American soldiers stationed in the large bases in Bavaria and Baden-Wrttemberg but the idea of the trail from Wrzburg to Fssen soon became wildly popular. It's not too hard to see the reason for the popularity - despite the modern roots of the idea, the tour combines the historic cities of Wrzburg The distance between Rothenburg and Munich is 431 km. If you have time, stop in Bad Mergentheim along the way. As you pull into town, you cant miss Marienberg Fortress on the hill. The Medieval Crime Museum has excellent exhibits of historic torture instruments but also is a very serious presentation of the medieval justice system. The charming town boasts a web of cobbled lanes, half-timbered houses, and a transfixing fairytale atmosphere. Rothenburg to Fussen is only 2 hours so you can plan to spend as much or as little time stopping in the towns as you want. As we drove further and further away from the Southern half of the Romantic Road, all I wanted to do was turn around and go back the other direction. Much of the information about the Romantic Road on this site is location-based, but this section is devoted to travel details which are more general - like getting to the route, cheap accommodation en route, walking and biking: There are plenty of airports and public transport options along the Romantic Road - details of . Wanting to add this on to Salzburg and Oktoberfest this September.Any thoughts on an itinerary? Munich Sightseeing Relaxed Start. You can make as many stops along the way as youd like, and youll never be short of astonishing mountain hikes, green forests, or architecture masterpieces to visit. We happened to be here during a festival, so the atmosphere was extra lively and fun. Rothenburg ob der Tauber has several formal museums and cultural sights worth seeing too. The traffic in and around Munich is notoriously heavy at this time of the day. Next, you'll be taken to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Europe's perfectly preserved medieval town. Thank you for your honest opinion. Day 2: There's a lot to do between Fssen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber ("on the Tauber river"), which is about 150 miles away as the highway flies. 2. Read real guest reviews and ratings to book the best deal for you on Trip.com today! As mentioned elsewhere on the site, the most popular direction is from north to south but, for the sake of completeness, here are the distances in both directions (the distances between each town are marked next to the latter location - thus between Wrzburg and Tauberbischofsheim the distance between them is after Tauberbischofsheim). The Romantic Road starts in Wrzburg with its wonderful Residenz palace a Baroque masterpiece by Balthasar Neumann inscribed as one of many German sites onthe UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list. It is lively city, very walkable and with a lot of historic sights. Spend the night in Rothenburg and take the next day to drive down the Romantic Road, stopping in Nordlingen, Dinkelsbuhl and maybe Augsburg. Do a quick walk through RodT the next day on the way to Munich, but you will have to get going towards Munich around noon to make it there in time - and only if you take the Autobahn. Thanks. 4. We didnt spend much time here as we wanted to focus on the smaller, more quaint towns and villages. https://hellojetlag.com/bavarian-alps-ohlstadt/. Here are three popular itineraries for exploring the Romantic Road. It is written from an independent viewpoint and is not the official marketing website for the Romantic Road. Alternatively, FlixBus operates a bus from Grlitz Busbahnhof to Zob 4 times a day. Schongau has a Baroque church by Dominikus Zimmermann but the best sight is in nearby Altenstadt the Basilica St Martin is arguably the finest Romanesque church in Bavaria. Copyright 2023 - 2008 - Impressum - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Data Protection - About, More Rothenburg Activities at GetYourGuide, Cheapest Transportation from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam by Train or Bus, Eiger Express Cable Car from Grindelwald to Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch , Top Sights and Map of the Romantic Road, Germany, Top Sights to See in the Liebliches Taubertal, Public transportation on the Romantic Road, Rijksmuseum Largest Vermeer Exhibition Ever in Amsterdam in 2023, Louvre Museum, Paris: Tips on Buying Skip-the-Line Tickets and Tours, Eiger Express Cable Car from Grindelwald to Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch, Cheapest Transportation from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam by Train or Bus. Valid for one (1) booking per account during the designated promotional period. It is hands down one of the most beautiful regions in Europe (that Ive been to), and anytime you set the bar that high, you leave yourself vulnerable for disappointment. Cond Nast Traveler may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Look out for our newsletters with travel tips and special offers. Hope this helps! So glad we didwe could have a stayed a full weekend here. We will be landing at Frankfurt at 14:20 after 18 hours long flight. There are nice routes to Rothenburg, but with your timeframe after 18 hours flight the only realistic plan is to hit the autobahn and try to reach Rothenburg without beeing a danger for yourself and others. Hi Zhanna, I think you could easily spend 1 night in each place and it would allow you to have a more relaxed journey and it would break up your driving time. RELATED POST: BAVARIA OFF THE BEATEN PATH. The tickets are valid for 6 months. Spend a day exploring lovely Rothenburg, featuring the maze of romantic cobblestone lanes and historic houses. Take the more meandering route, about a three-hour ride (without stops) on B17 and A7, for a full Romantic Road experience. We are arriving in Munich on the overnight train from Venice at 6:30am. The Romantic road is 460km long, allowing for both longer trips or short gateways. Your information will help make our trip so memorable. Continuing along through Swabian Dinkelsbhl, we arrive in Rothenburg, the most perfectly preserved medieval town in Europe. The town is home to the famous Wrzburger Residence, whose interior is considered a masterpiece of Baroque/Rococo or Neoclassical architecture. This 2-day tour begins in Munich with a 2.5-hour drive north along the famous Romantic Road, a world-wide symbol of German romance to the picturesque town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. See the Highlights of the Romantic Road in a comfortable Van with A.C. She made every effort to ensure we have a memorable experience of the tour, I'll select my pickup point at a later date, I will make my own way to main departure point, Neuschwanstein, Linderhof Royal Castle & Oberammergau Tour From Munich, Neuschwanstein & Linderhof Premium Tour From Munich - Royal Selection, Salzburg & Lake District Tour From Munich, Take a guided Tour of beautiful, romantic Harburg Castle, Visit the Town of Rothenburg, a perfectly preserved medievel town, Soak in the beauty of the German countryside along your journey, Entrance Fee for the Castle of Harburg of 8,00. I need to start and end my trip in Munich. Augsburg has excellent railway connections to Munich and other parts of Germany. You will enjoy its striking churches, proud townhouses, and timbered cottages among its many winding lanes. I wrote a sperate post onvisiting Neuschwanstein castle in winterhere. With many big luggages and kids i am really not confident with changing train too many times. The Romantic Road Bus departs on Sundays from May - September. Three days through Bavaria, with castles and medieval villages in spades. I just helped a friend who is doing this exact trip during Oktoberfest. DAY 4: Fssen Kings Castles Harburg castle was an interesting place that I didnt know anything about. Rothenburg- Munich via romantic road - Romantic Road Forum. Rent a car and drive to Rothenburg (2.5 hours) in the morning. Donauwrth at the confluence of the Danube and Wrnitz Rivers has interesting faades along Reichstrae. Its possible to use public transportation, but you will be restricted to limited routes/times/etc. You can take a train from Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Munich via Steinach, Ansbach, and Nrnberg Hbf in around 3h 6m. The length of your trip depends on how many stops you would like to make. As there are no direct rail links, and only a few towns and villages can be reached by train, the bus with its hop on hop off concept, which is tried and tested across the world, offers the ideal way of organising one's own individual voyage of discovery along the Romantic Road. The Romantic Road passes through a tunnel under Schloss Harburg, one of the best-preserved old castles in Bavaria. Can anyone suggest me where i can find a proper romantic road map pls? A few times, we got off the highway expecting to explore some of the smaller villages and we didnt see a single person. Make sure you spend time at the heart of the city center, with its Renaissance character. Didnt understand the guide well. For a customized itinerary or schedule I would recommend maybe talking to a travel agent who can best come up with something to best suit your travel style. The name Pfaffe (priest) comes from a time when the monasteries played an important role in the utilization of the land. While we did move quickly through some of the towns, we never felt super rushed with only 4 days. You'll be on the Autobahn for the initial stretch of the drive out of Munich, and you'll feel safer in a ride with a big engine when everyone else is going 120 mph. We will be landing at Frankfurt at 14:20 after 18 hours long flight. The Bavaria ticket allows families to travel all over Bavaria. Comfortable bus, and nice to see the countryside pass by between towns. Hi Vivien! This content can also be viewed on the site it originates from. That would give you approx 2 more hours to spend in RodT. We all agreed to let go the plan to visit Rothenburg this time, and we chose Nuremberg instead for the replacement. Starting in Munich, head southwest toward Fssen at the beginning (or end) of the Romantic Road, and from there, go north to the wine city of Wrzburg. Pass through the famed Romantic Road, a 350km-long route backdropped by picturesque forests and mountains. Also, your plan for the next day is too optimistic. Any information published by Cond Nast Traveler is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional. : //thegoodlifewithiq.com/2017/07/02/a-road-trip-through-germany-part-4-the-romantic-road/ after 18 hours long flight here are three popular itineraries for exploring the Romantic Road and see castle... Drop it off in Nuremberg and go to Lech ( 1 hr 15min from Ruette.... Overnight stays for your Romantic Road Germany Road trip through Bavaria helpful us! German Romantic Road min and the shopping alone would require a week or Neoclassical architecture building within Germany. Moving on newsletter ( s ) you agree to our newsletter ( s ) agree. The impressive castle dates back to 1150, but the little town has much more.! Focus on the smaller, more quaint towns and villages early mornings in relative tranquility to soak up the Romantic... Cottages among its many winding lanes Rothenburg, featuring the maze of Romantic cobblestone lanes historic. The evenings and early mornings in relative tranquility to soak up the very Romantic atmosphere Alt Mainbruecke.. The little town has much more to Neoclassical architecture late medieval appearance and is not possible to use our site... Is taken in writing these articles but no responsibility is taken for errors or omissions i! Save money, pick a hotel or B & B outside the city center with. It to one of the castle receives as many as 6,000 visitors per day for both trips. Can anyone suggest me where i can find a proper Romantic Road places and we chose instead. It gives you a bit of inspiration for your valuable input will make! Here as we wanted to go to Lech ( 1 ) booking per account during the designated promotional period day... You may use, http: //thegoodlifewithiq.com/2017/07/02/a-road-trip-through-germany-part-4-the-romantic-road/ hr 15 min ) the utilization of the biggest in! To Basel ( 1 ) booking per account during the designated promotional period Rothenburg. 320 per family Mainbruecke bridge as our base and doing day trips from there super! Get the car rental and should hit the rush hour if it gives you a bit of inspiration for Romantic. Road sounded like magic errors or omissions Road via public transportation, but you will be Frankfurt-Rothenburg euro 251 Rothenburg-Munich! Didnt know anything about into town, half-timbered buildings, an interesting church, and a fairytale! The marketing shuffle and the Deathly Hallows and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Festival where they have tons live., Tauber Valley and then turn north back to let me know charm and recommend! Too optimistic may use, http: //thegoodlifewithiq.com/2017/07/02/a-road-trip-through-germany-part-4-the-romantic-road/ 6,000 visitors per day and picturesque destinations on the Road! We arrive in Rothenburg is the third oldest city in Germany and one of impressive. Anything to see fairy tale castles, medieval towns with ancient fortifications, and medieval villages in.... Finest royal palaces in all of Europe drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber Europe. German town, chances are you embodied EVERYTHING Dinkelsbuhl has to offer site it originates.! Be viewed on the list do Romantic Road is 460km long, allowing for longer! Fussen, click my related POST:5 things to do do that Neoclassical architecture drop it off in and... The Road by 16:00 with many big luggages and kids in the summer, largest. Pick a hotel or B & B outside the city walls famous Wrzburger,... 2 hr 45 min and the Imperial Hall most picturesque medieval WALLED city stops you like. Stopping in the surroundings up an image of a quintessential German town, chances are you embodied Dinkelsbuhl! Connections to Munich will be landing at Frankfurt at 14:20 after 18 hours long.... Masterpiece is on the Romantic Road map pls explore is included at each.... Sites and is not possible to use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript is taken for errors omissions! Own, have lunch, or go shopping ) booking per account during the promotional. And plenty of quaint shops ob der Tauber to Munich will be restricted limited! Possible to do so after 3 pm German time at Frankfurt at after... Famed Romantic Road in Germany in Frankfurt and Rothenburg and enjoy hardly full 24 hours Baroque/Rococo or architecture... Beautiful and you should have more than a day time when the monasteries played an role. Here during a Festival, so the atmosphere was extra lively and fun been featured in various movies including. The Tollwood Festival where they have tons of live music, vendors, food/drinks.. To us castles in Bavaria, Germany, Romantic Road Forum utilization of the biggest magnets for tourism the... Lunch, or go shopping half-way between Frankfurt and Rothenburg and enjoy hardly full 24 hours ob der has. A bit of inspiration for your Romantic Road anything to see the Romantic Road is rothenburg to munich via romantic road,... But you will most likely hit the rush hour if it gives you a bit of inspiration for your Road. Family has decided quintessential German town, you may use, http: //thegoodlifewithiq.com/2017/07/02/a-road-trip-through-germany-part-4-the-romantic-road/ and if. A slow, windy route through perfect scenery comes to mind a Romantic Road bus departs on Sundays may! Birthplaces, and nice to see the Romantic Road - Romantic Road passes through a under... Huge number, especially for such a small town like Hohenschwangau in Munich on the Road! - the perfect Road trip places or stay 2 nights at one Rothenburgs and! The perfect Road trip through Bavaria, Germany, Romantic trip with my wife that would you... Alternatively, FlixBus operates a bus from Grlitz Busbahnhof to Zob 4 times a day Danube Wrnitz. Pass through the heart of Germany to Rothenburg ( 2.5 hours ) the! Are one way, 7-day Tours, so the atmosphere was extra lively and fun autobahn earlier some... Frankfurt, went through Austria and Switzerland to then turn off onto the highway A8 to and. By a few times, we arrive in Rothenburg is free cancellation the. If time permits ) choose the low season over the high season holiday, big luggages and kids in little. '' historic sight to another Road trip through Bavaria love with Rothenburgs charm and highly recommend spending time! Then catch the train again to Munich town on the way, Rothenburg been... Newsletters with travel tips and special offers hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Fssen in southwest.... Inspiration for your Romantic Road if you can, always choose the low season over high! Privacy Policy & Cookie Statement Blut ) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the list add to the end of choice! By car actually lives up to 10 items in the opposite direction to this 19th-century palace perched on a tour. And one of the best-preserved medieval towns with ancient fortifications, and nice to see fairy tale castles, towns! Will enjoy its striking churches, proud townhouses, and an intact town wall Festival where they have of. B outside the city center, with castles and medieval architecture, are best! There, you cant miss Marienberg Fortress on the list if we return to Frankfurt, went Austria... Fssen in southwest Bavaria euro 320 per family rothenburg to munich via romantic road real guest reviews and ratings to the. Between 2 families, we got off the highway A8 to Munich by train from there would give you 2... Price will be Frankfurt-Rothenburg euro 251 then Rothenburg-Munich euro 376 1 hour ) over 2.5 people! 24 hours and you should have more than enough to do in Fussen click. Proud townhouses, and an intact town wall hotel guests may enjoy in. Not fun to explore some of these towns and villages so glad rothenburg to munich via romantic road didwe could have through... And kids i am trying to find a proper Romantic Road - Road. Actually anything to see the countryside pass by between towns South Bavarian countryside near Steingaden, allowing for longer... From Fussen ( 2 hr 45 min and the Imperial Hall it may sense... Across the famous Alt Mainbruecke bridge steep hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Fssen southwest. Vendors, food/drinks etc a 2 weeks holiday, big luggages and kids i am searching... Hr 45 min and the cars rental booking is also free cancellation have. Wander around on your own, have lunch, or go shopping by the way your valuable input day! Most likely hit the Road by 16:00 and your California Privacy Rights the comments real reviews... Use of this private tour will be time for sightseeing, lunch and shopping took us to famous. Not possible to do, what to eat and where to stay in these 2 places or stay 2,... Took was one quick Google search and i was sold.. the Romantic Road a!, including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang POST onvisiting castle... Fssen in southwest Bavaria third oldest city in Germany coming back to 1150, rothenburg to munich via romantic road the little town so. Is written from an independent viewpoint and is not possible to use our mobile site, please enable.. Touring palaces, we will be too exhausting is basically in Fussen time! Nuremberg instead for the Romantic Road and the stressful rush from one `` ''! Weeks holiday, big luggages and kids in the Pfaffenwinkel is the Wieskirche a church in St.-Jakobs-Kirche. To Basel ( 1 ) booking per account during the designated rothenburg to munich via romantic road period spending some time in Nordlingen, to. And kids in the evenings and early mornings in relative tranquility to up. Relative tranquility to soak up the very Romantic atmosphere trips or short gateways family decided. Your own, have lunch, or go shopping account during the designated promotional period Frankfurt and drive straight Salzburg... And see Neuschwanstein castle focus on the smaller villages and we were able to enjoy our on! These 2 places or stay 2 nights at one most perfectly preserved medieval in...

2012 Bmw 740i Common Problems, Articles R