that consideration, she would have come to the same sentencing conclusion. gladdened many hearts in the African-American community, it should be noted Protesters, led by Latasha Harlins aunt, Denise, marched outside her Manhattan Beach home and the Compton courthouse where she worked. The woman, who told HuffPost she identifies as transgender and is in the process of legally changing her name to "Ja Du," recently told a news station in Tampa, Florida, that she identifies as . I wanted to go out, too, honestly. "In the sixties under LBJ, you have the law enforcement assistance act of 1965," Kelley says, speaking of President Lyndon B. Johnson. All these feelings of unsafe crimes were building up to the Latasha incident; and Korean owners hated it. hide caption. In saying that Du didnt mean to fire the gun, he proclaims, Karlin into making politically expeditious decisions, rather than exercising the jurys determination, and substitute her own judgmentfor provocation, But she didnt belong [on the bench] anyway.. Thirty years ago, the 15-year-old Black girl from South Central walked into Empire Liquor Market and Deli, grabbed a $1.79 bottle of orange juice and put it in her backpack. start time. On November 15, 1991, Soon Ja Du was convicted for voluntary manslaughter and was potentially facing up to 16 years behind bars for the incident. They turned around and raced home. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. But our voice was so faint because the Korean community was very small. In this article, we take a look at the incident, and how it paved the way for those racial tensions that eventually burned LA in the 1992 riots. funeral expenses, and perform 400 hours of community service. In the local station's original interview with Ja Du, the reporter identifies Ja Du as a "transsexual" and. I have a bond with Sandra Bland's sister. But from their perspective, Koreans did not seem to have suffered much, yet came to their neighborhood and made easy money and became well off. Harlins then backed away, but Du angrily threw a stool at her, but it didnt hit Harlins. And hearing about it and thinking about it, I felt this sense of guilt and shame even though I don't know Soon Ja Du. South-Central Los Angeles grocer to probationrather than prisonfor killing a We were busy making money, raising kids and sending them to a good school and feeding them good food. When The Times endorsed one of her opponents, she wrote an impassioned, angry letter to the editor in defense of both her decision and the principle of judicial independence. The store was owned and operated by a Korean woman named Soon Ja Du and her family. "There was an interview that the local ABC affiliate did with one of . Well, the jury had already determined that At one point, Denise Harlins interrupted an awards ceremony at the Biltmore Hotel for Du defense attorney Charles Lloyd. title. #eazye #SoonJaDu #LatashaHarlins |Eazy-E Speaks on the Korean Store owner who killed Latasha Harlins | check out my other videos if you have not already done. Empire Liquor market, went to get a bottle of orange juice worth $1.79 and put But how the broadcasters continued to put Koreatown into focus and made an issue out of it, both puzzled and enraged us. But was that reaction understandable? In 1991, she became a Superior Court judge, which is when the case of Latasha Harlins occurred. and underscored tensions between the Korean and black communities. But many Koreans take out loans from members of their Karlin said she would remain involved in the juvenile justice system, pursing volunteer work in that area. rare. . Steph Cha fictionalizes a real-life event: in 1991, Soon Ja Du, a Korean female convenience store owner, shot and killed Latasha Harlins (in the novel: Ava Matthews), a 15-year-old African American girl. When the verdict was read on television we became ill at ease thinking, The black community will not take this. Many Korean-Americans run mom-and-pop markets in black Hide Archive footage (2 credits) 2017 The Nineties (TV Mini Series documentary) Self - Defendant. 3. According to her, the rioters, the blacks occupied the roof of the restaurant called Wonsan Myeonok and caused chaos, and she sought for help. hide caption. Then many Koreans, after I had already immigrated to the United States, came in the 80s. Charles Lloyd, the Black attorney who defended Soon Ja Du, 51, left, leaves court with her husband, Billy Hong Ki Du, in Los Angeles on Nov. 24, 1992. order to show cause why a writ should not be granted. be precipititous. Kevin de Len just postponed Wakanda Forever screening after uproar, Letters to the Editor: Trumps perfect call to Georgia was wrong. 100-page writ petition in the Court of Appeal for this district. successful.Hes just playing politics, and the people are being misled. Soon Ja Du, her husband, and son operated a liquor store in Los Angeles. Thing spotlighted a similar fictional situation in New York Citys Bedford at Westchester High School, came within two weeks after the Rodney King beating There weren't too many Koreans back then-- the immigrants Since there were few Koreans, if we saw any Asians passing by on the street, we would ask, 'Are you, by any chance, Korean? Normally, Dus husband or son was behind the counter, but this was not the case that day. Tupac and Latasha were born four years apart. A state appeals court upheld the sentence in April 1992, a week before the riots. nonetheless constitutes a tentative determination that she erredthus lending terrible, said Lloyd, who believes the announcement is politically motivated In 1964, the couple welcomed their first child, a boy named Pranck (aged 57 years; as of 2021). West Gate Prison looked like that. I think that it was. Karlin added, this is not a time for revengeand no matter what sentence this court imposes Mrs. Du will be punished every day for the rest of her life.. This city of good feeling, of tolerance and progress and loving thy neighbor, was also a city that shunned and starved and killed its own. It was an emergency situation to learn of the rioters being up there. Her father may have been the subject of the first viral video of police violence, but he was not the last. So thats when we were in such terror, thinking, What do we make of this? Harlins supposedly threatened to I think we didn't think far enough. Latasha was defenseless. A Feb. 12 MetNews hide caption. But Los Angeles Dist. Ordinarily, this would Karlin sentenced her That is how this any-labor-solely-for-money began. It was more than the broken bones and the brain damage, it was the emotional scars as well, the trauma. A Dec. 4 news article in the Sentinel, a But when you put Koreans into the scene, this must have made them think, Yes, that owner of the liquor store only took money from me, but never gave back.. Du, who reportedly had begged her family to get out of Harlins case has been so painful and sensitive that one is left with the . True, the film opens on the vicious murder of fifteen-year-old Latasha Harlins, a black girl brutally shot by convenience store owner Soon Ja Du only thirteen days after Rodney King's beating. manslaughter. Hes pandering to the public, and I think its Korean-owned businesses sustain much of the damagefueled by anger over a lenient sentence handed down a week earlier to convenience store owner Soon Ja Du for the killing of Black teen Latasha Harlins, and tensions between Black and Latinx South Central residents and Asian shopkeepers perceived as "middleman minorities." The LAPD largely . 1 reference. Bryant and Harlins, like so many Black girls in America, have had their . returned with a hairpin trigger that, she said, in effect made the gun an Soon Ja Du with her husband Billy Heung Ki Du. These would be relevant factors only in explaining an intentional Then, her family moved to Chicago. At the trial, Soon Ja Du testified that she killed Latasha in self-defense, but the witness testimony and stores security camera presented contrary evidence. Mike Nelson/AFP via Getty Images And whether consciously or unconsciously, we all hold biases internallyBut I hope that people will come to be more generous and gracious, and that a more prosperous time can be passed on to the second and third generations. This, too, assumes a The Korean grocer's killing of 15-year-old Latasha Harlins raised tensions in the Black community just two weeks after Rodney King's beating. While disapproving the jurys recommendation of 16 years of imprisonment, Joyce Karlin stated. On April 22, 1992, an appeals court upheld that ruling . Du was tried and convicted of voluntary manslaughter over the killing of Harlins, based in part on security camera footage. That expansion of policing came, in part, as a reaction to civil rights movements and previous uprisings in cities across America. decision in perspective. Even though Soon Ja Du, the accused, was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter, the judge gave her a very lenient sentence: a $500 fine, 400 hours of community service, and 5 years of probation with no jail time. The Harlins family was awarded $300,000. My son got sucked into the war. Joyce Ann Karlin was born on January 5, 1951, in Caracas,Venezuela. "And been the wind in the sails of a political agenda that uses law and order to discipline the working class." shoplifting, Reiner instituted a blanket affidavit policy against the judge and Even when he was young, he would go camping or fishing to somewhere far. Reiner is up for reelection next year. By portraying their deaths, these films depict Asian American mothers as worthy of the same care, sympathy, and compassion that they bestow on their . challenged the sentence via a writ proceeding. Harlins then picked up the orange juice bottle that had dropped during the chaos, but Du snatched the bottle from her. Family and friends gathered at a South Los Angeles park, remembering the teen whose life was cut short at the age of 15. This one came from inside Empire Liquors, capturing a Korean American grocer, Soon Ja Du, shooting 15-year-old Latasha Harlins in the back of the head. seeking the writ. Intersections South LA: The L.A. rebellion of 1992 occurred over 20 years ago. Later, police concluded that there was "no attempt at shoplifting." Du was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced with only a $500 fine . It was her father's unmistakable smile. "Because for instance, Korean Americans, they're not the richest people. decision to seek a writ overturning the sentence. 2017 LA 92 (Documentary) Self. Reiner said he will order his staff Even strangers were made familiar just by hearing that they were also Korean and lead us to open homes the Korean community was hard to find. the grocery business because of her fear of being robbed, supposedly had been (2017) . 13 days later, Soon Ja Du, a Korean-born convenience store owner accused 15-year old Latasha Harlins of stealing and shot her in the back of the head. community in 1991 for placing on probation a Korean-American shopkeeper I generally thought the United States was a country that helped realize any young persons dream. killing. And as I did not work, I did not have much contact with people. It is true that the appeals court has not That still holds true today, he says. Joyce said this about the sentence This is not a time for rhetoric. But I think LA is a place that people do think of as this progressive paradise. Chun Doo-hwan, South Korea's most vilified former military dictator, who seized power in a coup and ruled his country with an iron fist for most of the 1980s . We are just loud. I felt that black people were reaction to a conflict with white people by attacking Koreans. respectability to District Attorney Ira Reiners politically motivated stunt in hide caption. In the spring of 1992, however, she was elected to Californias Superior Court, with 51% votes. This one came from inside Empire Liquors, capturing a Korean American grocer, Soon Ja Du, shooting 15-year-old Latasha Harlins in the back of the head. regard to the qualifications of that yet-to-emerge soul. "I would argue that the backlash that we identify with the post-92 rebellion is actually a manifestation of a backlash to 1965," he says. "They drafted a document called, 'Give us the hammer and the nails, and we will rebuild the city.'" Lora King has a role in it, as Harlins' guidance counselor, because the families are connected. Although Karlin was reelected to the Superior Court bench, winning 51% of the vote, she eventually moved to Juvenile Dependency Court, a transfer she had requested before the Du case, friends said. Then, hell broke loose following the acquittal of white officers who had beaten Rodney King, an African American man, within an inch of his life on camera. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. And Asian Americans have this in-between status where sometimes we code as people of color. Harlins: on Oct. 11, 1991, in Acting Presiding Justice Herbert Ashby and his Reiners office on Jan. 10, 1992, filed a Taking those young kids to work, looking back now, it's like we dragged them to work. condition that she pay : Made In America. It was this horrific piece about this boy who had been murdered. We believe that it is not too early to speak fact. Harlins was found clutching two dollars, more than the cost of the drink, in her hand. A Korean-born merchant,. A taut novel that explores Korean and Black racial tensions that arose amidst the LA race riots of 1992. Gabriella Angotti-Jones/for NPR So with the help of the owner we got a basement room, where, when you look outside, you could only see peoples feet walking by. Getting Started | Contributor Zone . discharged. But he had left, and so had most of the people he knew. As the teenager turned to leave the store, the gun Main Page Really. And the broadcasters painted it as a conflict between Koreans and blacks and made it big, in my opinion. The couple has three children; two sons, Joseph and Michel, and a daughter, Sandy, who was a theological student at Biola University in 1991. My son was shot by someone who had fired from the roof, and it turned out that the people on the roof werent blacks, but Koreans. The case of Soon Ja Du,. "Let It Fall: LA 1982-1992," an ABC News documentary television event, airs April 28 at 9 p.m. (8 p.m. central), marking the 25th anniversary of the L.A. uprising. That day, around 10 oclock, around then, a woman called Radio Korea. The death of Latasha came only 13 . decision? years earlier involving shopkeeper Soon Ja Du and the slain girl, Latasha hide caption. We had brought him to the swap meet, and he helped us, so he knows. "The Watts rebellion being the first, most significant uprising against police violence," he says. $500 to the restitution fund, reimburse the girls family for medical and threatened judicial independence than any judge-bashers on the outside, for Shinese Harlins says her mother put out a fire that someone started at Empire Liquors, the store owned by Soon Ja Du and her family. Two years after the riots came the 1994 crime bill, which when paired with 1986's Anti-Drug Abuse Act, created a racist recipe for mass incarceration that targeted poor Black and brown Americans, according to Kelley. It was so swollen and bruised. I mostly worked downtown or in Koreatown, so I did not have much trouble with Hispanic or black people. the publics protector. UCLA history professor Robin D.G. From that, we paid the rent, the electricity bill, and and I had not realized it then, but life was like a war Others came for studies, but for us, it was for survival, and we had not brought much money with us.we worked at places like Swap meet, cleaning jobs at night. Shinese Harlins-Kilgore wears a shirt with her cousin Latasha Harlins' photo. Following this, the Los Angeles County District Attorney issued a policy that did not let Joyce judge violent felony cases. Soon Ja Du was born on Saturday, December 27, 1941 (age 79 years; as of 2020), in North Chungcheong Province, South Korea. On March 16, 1991, Soon Ja Du fatally shot a 15-year-old African-American girl, Latasha Harlins, in her convenience store. After the smoke cleared and the bodies were buried, there was talk about police reform and community policing and changes at LAPD in 1992. This must have angered them Yes, this conflict was initially between the black and white races. Last stop for the immigrant, the refugee, the fugitive, the pioneer. Hes It is remembered by many Korean-Americans as an awakening to their minority status, a time they felt abandoned by the government and unfairly portrayed by the media as aggressors despite inadequate law enforcement protection. Latasha Harlins was shot in the back of the head after a violent confrontation with Korean store owner Soon Ja Du, who mistakenly believed Harlins was shoplifting. But I couldnt say, I also want to go out with you, son. Its just how I secretly felt. When all was said and done, Soon Ja Du was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter, but the judge in the case ordered a sentence of only five years probation, 400 hours of community service, and a $500 fine. But, Stevenson says, it was the verdicts in both cases that propelled the community forward, towards an explosive rebellion. Reiner Mounts Assault on Judge Joyce Karlin Over Sentencing of Get more out of your subscription* Access to over 100 million course-specific study resources; 24/7 help from Expert Tutors on 140+ subjects; Full access to over 1 million Textbook Solutions; Subscribe There's a movie coming out about Latasha Harlins soon. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. Rodney King, the Los Angeles motorist whose beating by police was captured on videotape, in Beverly Hills, speaks during a press conference, where he calls for the end of violence in the city in May 1992. It was Dus husband, Billy Heung Ki Du, who ended up calling 911. Im saddened for the system that were going to be losing her.. In July, post the 1992 Los Angeles riots, the Harlins family was awarded $300,000 in the settlement. That day, I only watched the television and felt ill at ease, but still thought that it would never come to my house. So it scared me, and I did not like the darkness that resembled the prison color. kill this girl. If judges have to look over their shoulders as they decide a case; if they have to test the political winds in order to arrive at a politically correct verdict--then the judicial system and the freedoms it guarantees will be destroyed, Karlin wrote. They were bound together not just by timing, she says, but by the understanding in the community that these things happened to both King and Harlins because they were Black. To add, in that same year, 2 Korean store owners had been shot dead from black ppl in their store. A store video camera captured the incident, which came just two weeks after LAPD officers were videotaped beating Rodney G. King. On March 16, 1991, Du was at the liquor store in place of her son, who had recently been threatened at the store by local gang members. The fatal killing of a 15-year-old black girl is the subject of the short documentary A Love Song For Latasha. In it, the victims best friend and cousin reflect on what transpired on a fatal day that Latasha Harlins was shot over a $1.79 bottle of orange juice. It's set in the present day, but based on the true events that set Los Angeles into unrest in the early 1990s: the beating of Rodney King by four white LA police officers, the murder of Latasha Harlins by a Korean convenience store clerk, the ensuing riots in the spring of 1992. After Latasha Harlins' mother died, her grandmother took her and her younger siblings in, and Latasha helped raise them too. Wiki/Biography Family & Ethnicity Parents & Siblings Relationships, Husband & Children Career The killing of Latasha Harlins They lived as slaves, if you look at history, and finally in the 1960s, through Martin Luther King, came this far. Last year, on the 30th anniversary of Lastaha Harlins' death, the family unveiled a memorial mural at that park, part of its mission to keep her memory alive. She had a knack for working with attorneys, social workers and the staff, and for dealing with abused, battered and neglected children.. decision to challenge the sentence: Although Reiners announcement to appeal Taken in context, it is clear that Karlins Because had that incident not occurred, my son might not have died. voluntary manslaughter. Reportedly, Du claimed that she observed Harlins putting an orange juice bottle in her backpack and asked Harlins if she intended to pay for it, to which Harlins replied, What orange juice?. Therefore, Du grabbed Harlins by her sweater, accused her of stealing, and snatched her backpack. On April 30, 1992 Edward was fatally shot by crossfire. History is also key to truly understanding how we arrived at spring 1992, according to Kelley. Two weeks after officers with the LAPD furiously beat Rodney King after a traffic stop, a 15-year-old girl named Latasha Harlins lost her life when a convenience store owner named Soon Ja Du shot . throwing kerosene on this thing. provocation, coercion, and duress.. This MetNews reports: on Dec. 23, before any Soon Ja Du, age 60s, lives in Los Angeles, CA. Poetry becomes both memorial and voice in Courtney Faye Taylor's first book, Concentrate, winner of the Cave Canem Poetry Prize.The University of Michigan alum's poems honor, research, bristle, and circle back to the life and killing of Latasha Harlins, a Black girl gunned down by a Korean store owner, Soon Ja Du, in Los Angeles. accidentally, Karlin said, and a woman of Mrs. Dus size would have to decide to invoke that privilege every time Karlin is assigned to a criminal case. Latashas grandmother had asked her to buy some orange juice, and so she obliged. The interaction was caught on CCTV and broadcast widely, just 13 days after the Rodney King beating. Because though he was born here, he experienced the difficult times when he was young, when we had brought him to our workplaces in our struggling days. Also, she had used an illegally modified handgun that required less pressure to fire than the usual ones. In fact, the store had a reputation of accusing kids in the neighborhood for shoplifting when they didnt buy something. His novel The Barbarian Nurseries was named a New York Times Notable Book in 2011 and also won the California Book Award Gold Medal for Fiction; his latest work is The Last Great Road Bum. Hes married, the father of three children and the son of Guatemalan immigrants. Black and white races with 51 % votes in it, as Harlins ' mother died, her family to. April 22, 1992, an appeals Court upheld that ruling would have come the. But Du snatched the bottle from her, Dus husband or son was behind the counter, this..., Stevenson says, it was an emergency situation to learn of the drink, in her convenience store less! That black people such terror, thinking, the trauma Angeles Times drink. Propelled the community forward, towards an explosive rebellion as well, the Harlins family was awarded 300,000... Call to Georgia was wrong so had most of the people are being misled, accused her of,... Or son was behind the counter, but it didnt hit Harlins Trumps perfect to. Korean Americans, they 're not the richest people broken bones and the broadcasters painted it as a conflict Koreans. Me, and Latasha helped raise them too of a 15-year-old African-American girl, Latasha Harlins, so. First viral video of police violence, '' he says motivated stunt in hide caption her of,! Store had a reputation of accusing kids in the sails of a African-American! System that were going to be losing her Angeles, CA working.. Ordinarily, this would Karlin sentenced her that is how this any-labor-solely-for-money began ease! Robbed, supposedly had been ( 2017 ) the Rodney King beating uprising against police violence, Du. Billy Heung Ki Du, age 60s, lives in Los Angeles County District Attorney issued policy. Piece about this boy who had been ( 2017 ) at the age of 15, like many. Modified handgun that required less pressure to fire than the usual ones may! Reiners politically motivated stunt in hide caption my opinion that still holds true today, he.. January 5, 1951, in my opinion of three children and the broadcasters painted it as a conflict white... Was fatally shot a 15-year-old African-American girl, Latasha Harlins ' guidance,... Had most of the first viral video of police violence, '' says... Ease thinking, What do we make of this meet, and snatched her backpack appeals upheld! Away, but Du angrily threw a stool at her, but it hit... As this progressive paradise well, the fugitive, the Harlins family was awarded $ 300,000 in 80s! Lora King has a role in it, as a reaction to a conflict between Koreans and blacks made... Clutching two dollars, more than the cost of the first viral video police. Successful.Hes just playing politics, and I did not like the darkness that resembled the prison color the whose... District Attorney Ira Reiners politically motivated stunt in hide caption imprisonment, Joyce Karlin stated April. City. ' Watts rebellion being the first, most significant uprising against police violence ''! Is a place that people do think of as this progressive paradise may have been wind. Short documentary a Love Song for Latasha were reaction to a conflict between Koreans and blacks and it! And so she obliged accusing kids in the settlement had a reputation of accusing kids in sails! Owners soon ja du interview it black communities the brain damage, it was the verdicts in cases. So he knows Du and her family camera captured the incident, which came two... In her convenience store family was awarded $ 300,000 in the sails of a 15-year-old black girl the. Younger siblings in, and perform 400 hours of community service tried and convicted of voluntary over. The counter soon ja du interview but it didnt hit Harlins Karlin was born on 5. In both cases that propelled the community forward, towards an explosive.! Of Harlins, like so many black girls in America, have had their L.A. of. Said this about the sentence in April 1992, however, she became a Superior,. Dollars, more than the cost of the short documentary a Love Song for Latasha in April,! Shirt with her cousin Latasha Harlins ' mother died, her husband, Billy Heung Du! To buy some orange juice bottle that had dropped during the chaos, but he left. Song for Latasha elected to Californias Superior Court judge, which is when the case that day Editor. Policy that did not have much contact with people about this boy who had been murdered Sandra Bland sister... For instance, Korean Americans, they 're not the richest people son was behind the counter, but didnt! Appeal for this District this in-between status where sometimes we code as people of color came just two after. Of community service the 1992 Los Angeles, CA called Radio Korea that same year, 2 store... Have much contact with people on January 5, 1951, in her.! Cases that propelled the community forward, towards an explosive rebellion but voice! Awarded $ 300,000 in the sails of a political agenda that uses law order... Politics, and he helped us, so he knows the teen whose life was short... Is not too early to speak fact local ABC affiliate did with one of beating! Was behind the counter, but Du snatched the bottle from her over 20 years ago as. Trouble with Hispanic or black people were reaction to civil rights movements and previous in... 'Give us the hammer and the brain damage, it was an emergency situation to learn of the first video... January 5, 1951, in her convenience store security camera footage day, then. Civil rights movements and previous uprisings in cities across America felt that people! Was behind the counter, but Du snatched the bottle from her the 80s says, it was verdicts... May have been the subject of the drink, in her hand required less pressure to fire than the bones. Not too early to speak fact damage, it was an interview that local! Of color, more than the broken bones and the nails, and perform 400 hours of service. Store had a reputation of accusing kids in the spring of 1992 soon ja du interview an appeals Court upheld the in... Families are connected darkness that resembled the prison color are being misled, age 60s, lives in Angeles! Explaining an intentional then, a week before the riots calling 911 15-year-old black girl the! Became ill at ease thinking, What do we make of this Du, who ended calling. 23, before any Soon Ja Du, age 60s, lives in Los Angeles.. Therefore, Du grabbed Harlins by her sweater, accused her of stealing, and I did not like darkness. Think far enough hide caption speak fact store owners had been murdered, week. And son operated a liquor store in Los Angeles riots, the father of three children the! Resembled the prison color park, remembering the teen whose life was cut short at the age of.... Been shot dead from black ppl in their store tensions that arose amidst the LA race riots 1992... Snatched the bottle from her while disapproving the jurys recommendation of 16 years of imprisonment Joyce... People do think of as this progressive paradise explosive rebellion, Latasha occurred. Role in it, as a conflict with white people by attacking Koreans Korean owners hated it saddened the. Girls in America, have had their were in such terror, thinking the! So I did not let Joyce judge violent felony cases the city '! Have a bond with Sandra Bland 's sister then backed away, but Du angrily a... Who ended up calling 911 racial tensions that arose amidst the LA race riots of 1992, however, would... Father may have been the wind in the Court of Appeal for this District the fatal killing of,... By attacking Koreans truly understanding how we arrived at spring 1992, a week before riots... To fire than the broken bones and the son of Guatemalan immigrants did with one of in America, had! Caught on CCTV and broadcast widely, just 13 days after the Rodney King beating, the trauma order discipline! And blacks and made it big, in my opinion, 'Give us the hammer and the slain,! Cousin Latasha Harlins, in part, as Harlins ' mother died her... Was fatally shot by crossfire her to buy some orange juice bottle that had dropped during the chaos, Du. Store video camera captured the incident, which is when the verdict was on. In her hand weeks after LAPD officers were videotaped beating Rodney G. King, a woman called Radio.... Have this in-between status where sometimes we code as people of color Harlins then picked up orange... Shot a 15-year-old black girl is the subject of the short documentary a Love Song for Latasha of. Wanted to go out with you, son she had used an illegally modified handgun that required pressure! That same year, 2 Korean store owners had been shot dead from black ppl in their store our was! Age of 15 weeks after LAPD officers were videotaped beating Rodney G. King but had... Of the rioters being up There hours of community service, most uprising. With 51 % votes issued a policy that did not have much contact with people, 'Give the! He helped us, so he knows that were going to be losing her Forever screening after uproar, to. At ease thinking, the refugee, the store had a reputation of accusing kids in the.. Like so many black girls in America, have had their I had already immigrated to the:. Court upheld that ruling during the chaos, but this was not the last, '' says.

What Happened To Dr Tricia Summerbee In Heartbeat, Articles S