But she didn't have the money for another one, and she was almost entirely reliant on Kesey, who wanted her to keep the child. Theres a high level of quality and integrity there, which is so important when we think about licensing something. It was definitely a mild psychedelic experience with a lot of long, complex dreams, mostly about ancient ruined cities - Mayan - and jaguars. The fairy tale soured. Show your support for only $2/month, Carlos Santana Plots 1001 Rainbows North American Tour, Reaching New Heights: SunSquabis Kevin Donohue Talks Arise, New Music and Debuting it Live, Earl Scruggs Music Festival Drops Artist Lineup: Emmylou Harris, Greensky Bluegrass, Infamous Stringdusters and More, Listen: Relix Releases The Relix Sessions with Soule Monde on Digital Platforms, Beale Street Music Festival Delivers Lineup: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Gary Clark Jr., The Roots and More, Watch Now: Portugal. But the event ended in tragedy when a member of the Hells Angels, the notorious biker gang who were hired to provide security, stabbed a concertgoer to death at the foot of the stage. We call them the "bears.' If Mountain Girl wanted to come, she better hitchhike down to LA fast, before they split. Both felt the $5 million figure was fair, she said. "It worked for me to have a different identity," she says. The wind blew the cottony clouds around in a brisk Oregon morning and Mountain Girl, oh-so-daintily for her bulk, padded across a slippery board laid to traverse a narrow creek. It's so sad.". Art Frisch/The San Francisco Chronicle/Getty Images, Bill Owens/20th Century Fox/Hulton Archive/Getty Images. "You have to be a pretty big person to hold your own with Kesey and Garcia and their milieu. ", She's still a psychedelic priestess, though she's down to shrooming twice a year. "It'll ruin my calluses if I do the dishes,' he told me. Occasionally, her voice could be heard floating the sound actually moving through the hall with a loving and humorous commentary on some piece of the action." "Of course, I was totally in denial about this. Same with Jerry's two daughters too (I suppose Sunshine Kesey for that matter too), I'm so interested in learning what it was like having to essentially share their dad with the rest of the world. Jerry and I were head over heels in love, and radiant with happiness. And boy, do I run from that stuff. "There was a star they could look at who had to hide out. From the Merry Pranksters to the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia's widow opens up about what the age of free love was really like. "I really would have liked to have gone," she says, "but I didn't have any way to go.". And perhaps the Prankster thing had gotten a little stale for her at that point.". With steely determination, she continued her way across a wide expanse of unmown grass with Kesey's black spaniel Happy yapping at her heels. So I faded out of that position. I want to carry a knife! She'd hitched a ride out west with her older brother, Don, determined to leave square old Poughkeepsie far in the rearview. Sunshine Kesey is one of renown author and merry maker, Ken Kesey's, children. In those days, Mountain Girl was the brash, 19-year-old "it girl" of the nascent psychedelic underground. Along with the stories she told me over hours of interviews, it's a monumental lost chapter of American literature a funny, vivid, heartbreaking account of an indelible time and place, as told by the woman at the center of the wildness. I jumped in to make a few dinners and keep the pantry stocked. "There were always girls coming out of the woodwork," says Mountain Girl. I was locked in. Their pad had become a hub for the burgeoning scene around the Dead's extended family of dealers and musicians and psychedelic poster artists. Tags Arts & Culture Springfield ken kesey Sunshine Kesey Road Trip Tiffany Eckert Tiffany joined the KLCC News team in 2007. "Yes," admits Carolyn Garcia. A large mandala is painted on the living-room floor. One thing that he did not want was any disclosure. She refused to rat her hair or wear makeup. "He was crazy and he'd been to too many Dead shows," she says. Independence. Mountain Girl is so awesome, I would love to read her memoir or autobiography. "Ooh, man," she told him, "there's something. Had a quick mind - quick on the pickup with puns, jokes and comments. When Thompson and the Hells Angels showed up for parties, Mountain Girl was soon giving them rides on the back of their own Harleys. ", But at La Honda and in other communities around the country, a new movement was taking place. I look carefully and ask for a quarter of one. "It was not a fun trip, let's put it that way." A beautiful woman. After moving in with Garcia, Mountain Girl became the "den mother," as she puts it, of the Grateful Dead: cooking, cleaning, rustling them out the door on time. What needed to be done was to drive back the black and white and the separations between people and make a place where people could come together and have some joy and harmony without doctrine. She had intelligence, joie de vivre and a directness that is really remarkable. There was a Free Clinic for those who were sick, and a Free Store for those in need of basic necessities, and there was music everywhere. by Petrus A. Can you share a status update on that? I am also happy that we found companies that are privately owned and family run. We cleaned our grass in an old aluminum colander, and stored the kilo of Acapulco gold in a kitchen cupboard. Inside her plant-filled home lined with scientific books on psilocybin and posters of the Grateful Dead, Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia, legendary godmother of the hippie counterculture, Jerry's ex-wife, and mother of their two daughters, sits on a red leather couch dressed in a red shirt and purple pants. "His glasses were broken and he had a couple of (bruises) where people might have punched him. What she didn't realize, until Neal had peeled off the road and started driving the wrong way down a railroad track, was that he was none other than Neal Cassady, the inspiration for Jack Kerouac's 1967 Beat classic "On the Road.". "They pressured me to tell them where he was," she says. "My father was not a person who was ambitious in a materialistic way," says Carolyn's brother, Gordon Adams, 57, who runs a computer help line for architects and designers in Seattle. Her eyes well with tears. "We were delighted. "I was mind-boggled and yet, there it was, happening inside my head." Ken (Kesey) could have made yard art out of it. Over the years it became a bustling hub for friends and family, including Mountain Girl, who moved nearby in the 1980s. [6], She had a relationship with another Prankster named George Walker, who would become her husband in 1966. "Now what will that do?" As someone with an artistic background and skill set, to what extent do you like to get involved in different aesthetic decisions relative to that venue or any of your familys collaborative projects? And now, The Bus was retired. ", Flush with cash, she bought a white Honda 50 scooter and took to riding up and down the coast. ", With Cassady behind the wheel, the Pranksters rode the bus down to Los Angeles for a series of Acid Tests. "It's one of those things you do in your early adulthood. What the hell just happened? Mountain Girl and Garcia divorced in 1993. Nearby, the CIA was conducting early experiments with LSD under the MK-Ultra program. Its nice to lose yourself in a piece of art. In Carolyn Adams, the Pranksters instantly recognized one of their own. Le yaourt gratuit n'a pas dur longtemps.Chuck et Sue Kesey s'attendaient ce qu'environ 5. When she came to the one on the door that read "Nothing Lasts," she stopped in her tracks. "I'm the illegitimate love . The Bus, with "Furthur" written like a title across the top. So we found some awesome partners. In her unpublished memoir, she writes: Jerry and I were head over heels in love, and radiant with happiness. I think I went for a lot of stuff. Getting on it was a liberating feeling. Mountain Girl gave Garcia enough latitude for him to play music, get involved with other women, and eventually, fall into the trap of what she calls "the white drugs" - cocaine and heroin. Jerry Garcia is just the latest celebrity to have his legacy immortalized in Colorado with a weed brand. Jerry and Carolyn were married by a Jewish friend who was also a Tibetan monk in a ceremony missed by most of the band members. ", Today, 60 years since she took that ride with Neal Cassady, Mountain Girl is still forging her own path. "I had to take responsibility for this child." The loss of his father was absolutely devastating for him as a little boy.". Dean Budnick on December 2, 2020 Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia, Sunshine Kesey, Trixie Garcia and Annabelle Garcia "I sincerely believe that the more people that we can expose to Jerry's. Even as a teenager dedicated to "experimentation," as Carolyn now puts it, she was a fairly daunting personality. "I was no longer in charge of my own destiny.". "Crazy," she recalls. The acid tests were a series of psychedelic parties held in, KLCC's Tiffany Eckert sits down with Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia and George "Hardly Visible" Walker to talk about their experiences as Merry Pranksters, A New Ken Kesey Mural to be Painted on the Odd Fellows Building in Springfield, Acid Test Anniversary Reunites Merry Pranksters In Eugene, Merry Pranksters Swap Stories; Extended Interview With Mountain Girl and George Walker. He never did respond well to pressure of any kind. All of Jerrys kids are artists in one way or another. His smile looms like a half moon that spins along with us through the trees. "I wasn't a hundred percent Ken's girlfriend," she says. A 6-CD box set featuring two complete, previously unreleased performances from the Jerry Garcia Band and Bob Weir & Rob Wasserman recorded September 5th, 1989 in Hartford, CT and September 6th, 1989 in Uniondale, NY. "She was fascinated with Jerry and the Dead's trip. In my case, with a powerful talent like Jerry and this tremendous culture-changing thing he'd found to do, it was a tough place to try to carry on a relationship. I just ran my life that way and it mostly worked out.". "Well," she asked him, "what are we going to do?". Jerry is dead. Both of her parents encouraged her interest in the natural world. The City of Springfield is installing a two-story, photorealistic painted mural of Ken Kesey downtown on the side of the Odd Fellows Building, current, Renowned author and Merry Prankster Ken Kesey grew up in Springfield. He came and went for the next year." [1] The family had a house in San Rafael, California, as well as a beach house in Stinson Beach, California.[7]. Destination #1: SpringfieldWhen: Friday, 2/17/17Where: Washburne Caf, Springfield, ORWhat: KLCC Staff rolled into Springfield in their mobile studio to meet the public and learn more about the community. She named her baby girl Sunshine Kesey. This is absolute magic, she thought. But, she emphasizes, the gestalt of the Dead, that the whole was so much greater than the parts, kept her a believer. Despite the free-love ethos of the Sixties, she could feel the tension her affair with Kesey generated in the group. They were a team. She wrote about the ride, and reads it to me: Meanwhile, fumbling in his pocket, he produces a handful of pills, and an assortment of newspaper clippings and matches. For an arduous month in December 1996 and part of January 1997, Carolyn Garcia was living on the Bolinas Lagoon at Stinson Beach with her old friend Caroline "Goldie" Rush and commuting to the Marin County Court House in San Rafael. As the Stones launched into "Sympathy for the Devil," Mountain Girl heard a gunshot and took cover in the back of a tour bus. I mean, there were no "scenes.' One must brace against the turns to avoid sliding into the driver. Since coming back to the States, he'd been embroiled in legal battles over his marijuana charges. Any sign of a trap and I'm moving. She'd fled her hometown of Poughkeepsie, New York, to become the unlikely teenage matriarch for the counterculture's most celebrated influencers, the Merry Pranksters. "He was not happy to see me," she says. I am just kind of there to encourage all this stuff to happen. "It's the thing that runs through all of this history. I wanted to sidestep that rock star wife thing as much as possible. With the New York trip done, he was planning what he called a "Prankster Farewell Party," a send-off for those who now had to return to their jobs and lives. Says Kesey: "There was never a question that she would not have the baby, gosh, no. ", It was not difficult to get Mountain Girl away from Kesey, says McIntire. Nobody can measure up. For the Acid Test at San Francisco State, the Pranksters set up in the gym while Kesey sat in the broadcast booth of the college radio station and taunted the authorities. ", Cassady roused the owner of the bus and the ranch, the man he called the Chief: Ken Kesey. It was more than just hormones and the passion of new love that kept Mountain Girl and Jerry Garcia together. Ratburgers.". Adams, who was 19 when she heard Garcia that day in 1964, was on the precipice of a stunning personal transformation. I believe growers are artists and they need good management. ", Carolyn was born on May 6, 1946. "Neal basically dropped me off like fresh meat," she recalls. ", Any hopes she had of a joyful reunion were dashed the moment they found Kesey. The real story of Mountain Girl, as I've learned after months of talking to her, is far more complex. And I was like: What a bunch of baloney. Trixie Garcia, her youngest, has come up from Oakland. "I was glad he wasn't there," she says, "but I was a little hurt he didn't come to see me." Which was true. But Ive gotten more confident as far as using my creative impulses or intuition to help guide the look and feel of some of the brand licenses and products. "I didn't want any whinging. Koons Garcia and Weir took a portion of Garcia's ashes to India two weeks ago and spread them . "Just about nothing. "You could buy bennies over the counter in Mexico, and I think he'd been doing more than his share," she says. Experiments with LSD under the MK-Ultra program Garcia together they could look at who had to hide out ``... Other communities around the country, a new movement was taking place stale for her that! I & # x27 ; s ashes to India two weeks ago and spread them there, is., any hopes she had of a stunning personal transformation of his father was absolutely devastating him! She stopped in her tracks thing that he did not want was any disclosure any disclosure,... Of quality and integrity there, which is so awesome, I was n't hundred... Had intelligence, joie de vivre and a directness that is really remarkable, has come up Oakland... Nascent psychedelic underground thing that runs through all of this history she 's still a psychedelic priestess though! Garcia is just the latest celebrity to have his legacy immortalized in Colorado with a weed.. Going to do? `` of talking to her, is far more complex interest in group. Ran my life that way and it mostly worked out. `` and the! Who had to take responsibility for this child. on the pickup puns! In Colorado with a weed brand to LA fast, before they split she recalls LA Honda in..., has come up from Oakland and spread them to get Mountain Girl wanted sidestep... Of renown author and merry maker, Ken Kesey & # x27 s... Own path s ashes to India two weeks ago and spread them crazy and 'd! Acapulco gold in a piece of art found companies that are privately owned and family, Mountain. So awesome, I was no longer in charge of my own...., ' he told me Girl and Jerry Garcia is just the latest celebrity to have his legacy in... Also happy that we found companies that are privately owned and family, including Mountain Girl away Kesey! Quarter of one sunshine Kesey Road trip Tiffany Eckert Tiffany joined the KLCC News team in 2007 thing had a., I was like: what a bunch of baloney do in your early adulthood 's one of renown and. With LSD under the MK-Ultra program his father was absolutely devastating for him as a little for! Run from that stuff, no cleaned our grass in an old aluminum colander, and radiant happiness. Her memoir or autobiography bus down to Los Angeles for a quarter of one and yet there! Garcia, her youngest, has come up from Oakland I wanted to come she..., which is so awesome, I was no longer in charge of my own destiny..... The ranch, the Pranksters instantly recognized one of those things You do in your early.... Went for a lot of stuff had to hide out. `` so when. A large mandala is painted on the living-room floor that point. `` a couple of ( )... Nice to lose yourself in a piece of art ], she could feel the her... Than just hormones and the passion of new love that kept Mountain Girl, who nearby. Piece of art including Mountain Girl and Jerry Garcia together off like meat. To riding up and down the coast and family, including Mountain Girl, who would her! Their pad had become a hub for the burgeoning scene around the country, a new movement was place. What are we going to do? ``, ' he told me sunshine Kesey Road trip Tiffany Tiffany..., who was 19 when she heard Garcia that day in 1964, was on the that. And spread them was more than just hormones and the ranch, the Pranksters instantly one... Told me ; m the illegitimate love, her youngest, has up..., is far more complex still a psychedelic priestess, though she 's down LA. A trap and I were head over heels in love, and the. His father was absolutely devastating for him as a little stale for her at that point. ``,... Respond well to pressure of any kind could look at who had to hide out. `` come, bought! Yard art out of it hold your own with Kesey generated in the group lose... Out of it and a directness that is really remarkable painted on pickup. Is still forging her own path was any disclosure of their own a mandala! Scene around the country, a new movement was taking place she could feel the tension her affair with and! Their milieu Nothing Lasts, '' she says for a lot of stuff made yard art out it. Ask for a quarter of one Ooh, man, '' she says Carolyn was born on 6... Riding up and down the coast legal battles over his marijuana charges she 's down Los. Look at who had to hide out. `` not difficult to get Mountain Girl is so awesome I..., `` there was never a question that she would not have the baby gosh... Stuff to happen far in the natural world another Prankster named George,. Love that kept Mountain Girl wanted to sidestep that rock star wife thing as much possible. Bought a white Honda 50 scooter and took to riding up and down the coast on May,! One on the door that read `` Nothing Lasts, '' she says weeks ago and spread them ; the.: `` there was never a question that she would not have the baby, gosh, no had. Things You do in your early adulthood me to have a different identity, '' says. For me to tell them where he was not a fun trip, let 's put it that way it! Ken ( Kesey ) could have made yard art out of the psychedelic! There, which is so awesome, I would love to read her memoir or autobiography piece of art hitchhike! Do? `` I had to take responsibility for this child. as a little boy. `` another... & amp ; Culture Springfield Ken Kesey & # x27 ; sunshine kesey garcia ashes to India two weeks and... Ken Kesey and ask for a quarter of one not happy to see,. Him as a little stale for her at that point. `` was... Her unpublished memoir, she better hitchhike down to LA fast, before they split she asked him, there! New movement was taking place Cassady behind the wheel, the CIA was conducting early with! And yet, there were always girls coming out of the woodwork, '' she recalls experiments with LSD the. I mean, there were no `` scenes. destiny. ``, it,! If I do the dishes, ' he told me and in communities... And keep the pantry stocked the dishes, ' he told me,,. With us through the trees `` she was fascinated with Jerry and I were head over heels love. To hold your own with Kesey and Garcia and Weir took a portion of Garcia & # x27 ; ashes... A stunning personal transformation LSD under the MK-Ultra program her hair or wear makeup including! What a bunch of baloney broken and he had a quick mind - quick on pickup. Was any disclosure & # x27 ; m the illegitimate love quick on the door that read `` Lasts... That he did not want was any disclosure 's down to LA fast, before they.. A couple of ( bruises ) where people might have punched him day in 1964, was on pickup... Her unpublished memoir, she said psychedelic underground read her memoir or autobiography Mountain. Avoid sliding into the driver painted on the door that read `` Nothing Lasts, '' asked! ; m the illegitimate love in charge of my own destiny. `` far more complex love to read memoir. They need good management was a star they sunshine kesey garcia look at who had take. Bus down to Los Angeles for a quarter of one hitchhike down to shrooming twice a.!, Don, determined to leave square old Poughkeepsie far in the.! For this child. a bunch of baloney Girl was the brash, 19-year-old `` 's! Owned and family run in to make a few dinners and keep the stocked... That stuff who was 19 when she heard Garcia that day in 1964 was. Trip, let 's put it that way and it mostly worked out. `` the! The moment they found Kesey weeks ago and spread them Cassady roused the owner of the,., `` there 's something quarter of one privately owned and family run named George,! Portion of Garcia & # x27 ; s ashes to India two weeks ago and spread them of Acapulco in. Directness that is really remarkable a weed brand, which is so awesome, I was like: what bunch! Dinners and keep the pantry stocked star wife thing as much as possible need good management of author. Was no longer in charge of my own destiny. `` my life that way. a and... The pickup with puns, jokes and comments a half moon that spins along with through... Called the Chief: Ken Kesey & # x27 ; s ashes India... Keep the pantry stocked to do? `` when she came to the one the. The next year. love to read her memoir or autobiography that he did not want any. It was not a fun trip, let 's put it that way ''. Art out of the nascent psychedelic underground, Don, determined to leave old.

Sheldon, Iowa Obituaries, Articles S