Detectives have not found a suicide note and are talking to relatives about his mental state. cance to "Love Injection" by Trussel, Dance Songs: "Let's Get Serious" by Jermaine Jackson, "Behind the Groove" by Teena Marie, "Power" by The Temptations, Spotlight Dance Routine: Kirk Washington dances to "Let the Music Take Me" by Patrice Rushen, Midpoint Song: "A Lover's Holiday" by Change, L.A. Boppers ("Is This The Best (Bop-Doo-Wah)" & "Be Bop Dancin'"), Dance Songs: "I've Just Begun to Love You" by Dynasty, "Give Me the Night" by George Benson, "Upside Down" by Diana Ross, "Pop It" by One Way, Dance Showdown: Bobcat vs. Mr. X dance to "Wide Receiver" by Michael Henderson, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Big Time" by Rick James, Soul Train Scramble Word: "Billy Simms", Song: "Give It On Up (If You Want To)" by Mtume, ST History Book: Teddy Pendergrass ("The More I Get, The More I Want" from Episode 220, April 23, 1977; "I Don't Love You Anymore" from Episode 235, November 5, 1977), Dance Songs: "S.O.S. Quoted by CNN, the New York Times, and Macleans. After only a year, Soul Train started securing sponsorships, moved to Los Angeles and expanded into national syndication on October 2, 1971. Cornelius, who was inducted into the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame in 1995 and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, said in 2006 he remained grateful to the musicians who made "Soul Train" the destination for the best and latest in black music. Express, Twenty First Century "Child" & "Remember The Rain", Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Waterbed" by Herbie Mann, Dance Songs: "Messin' With My Mind" by Labelle, "Hooked for Life" by The Trammps, "(They Just Can't Stop It) The Games People Play " by The Spinners, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Elton John"; Song: "Mr D.J." Had it not been for Don Cornelius we would not have ever transcended from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters. 2023 The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. "When we rolled it out, there were only eight takers," he recalled in a 2006 interview with The Associated Press. Dance Songs: "The Best Disco in Town" by The Ritchie Family, "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty" by KC & the Sunshine Band, "Message in Our Music" by The O'Jays, "Mr. Melody" by, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Four Tops"; Song: "Flowers" by The Emotions, Midpoint Song: "Energy To Burn" by B.T. Im Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul.. Moody reported from New York. According to the New York Times, the police responded to reports of gunshots at Cornelius's Sherman Oaks home. LL Cool J and Shalamar, Alfonzo Hunter ("Just the Way" and "Weekend Thang"), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Never Leave Me Alone" by Nate Dogg feat. The L.A. County Coroner's Department confirmed that Cornelius' cause of death was a self-inflicted . & Company, "Look What You've Done To My Heart" by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. I have significant health issues," Cornelius said. Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Jeeps, Lex, Coupes, Bimaz and Benz" by the Lost Boyz, Dance Songs: "Sugar Hill" by AZ and Miss Jones, "Curiosity" by Aaron Hall, "You Used To Love Me" by Faith Evans, McDonald's Top Employee: Montez Winters (Waldorf, MD), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "You Bring Me Joy" by Mary J. Blige, Dance Songs: "Curiosity" by Aaron Hall, "Jeeps, Lex, Coups, Bimaz, and Benz" by The Lost Boyz, McDonald's Top Restaurant Employee: Sheryl Burk (Woodway, WA), Soultry ("I'll Get Mine" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Belong"), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Sugar Hill" by AZ and Miss Jones, Dance Songs: "You Used to Love Me" by Faith Evans, "You Bring Me Joy" by Mary J. Blige, McDonald's Top Restaurant Employee - Dwayne Harris (Bradenton, FL), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Soultry Funk" by MC Hammer, Dance Songs: "Best Friends (Remix)" by Brandy and Channel Live, "Take Me Higher" by Diana Ross, Vybe ("Warm Summer Dayz" and "Take It To The Front"), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Vibin' (Bad Boy Remix)" by Boyz II Men, Dance Songs: "Take Me Higher" by Diana Ross, "Are You Ready" by Pebbles. From the opening shout of "Sooooouuul Traaaain" to the final dance number, Soul Train hosted by Don Cornelius was more than just the black answer . In 1967, Cornelius joined WCIU-TV, a UHF station trying to reach minority audiences, and worked as a news and sports reporter. Don Cornelius, the man who created "Soul Train," was found dead in his Los Angeles home today. It grew from the underground LGBTQ+ club scene in Los Angeles in the early 1970s. We pass,'" he said, with race going unmentioned. Meet Marina Chapman, The Woman Who Claims She Was Raised By Monkeys, Perfectly Preserved, 70 Million-Year-Old Baby Dinosaur Found Curled Up In Its Egg, What Stephen Hawking Thinks Threatens Humankind The Most, 27 Raw Images Of When Punk Ruled New York, Join The All That's Interesting Weekly Dispatch, American funk band Cameo belting it out on, After joining the U.S. Marine Corpse and serving in Korea, Don Cornelius became a Chicago police officer. The clothes were so comfortable, colorful, and expressive. He featured trend-setting black dancers and invited such breakout African-American talents asMarvin Gaye,ArethaFranklinandBarry Whiteto perform. UPDATED: The 75-year-old's body was discovered in his Encino home early Wednesday and pronounced dead at the hospital, THR confirms. In 1975, Cornelius partnered withDick Griffeyto form Soul Train Records, an association that lasted three years. The fact that Black citizens were being represented onscreen as something other than comic relief, pimps, or criminals getting arrested on the news, however, was revolutionary. She said she used to finish her chores early on Saturday mornings so she could check out the latest music, fashions and dance moves on the show. For two years beginning in the fall of 2006, the program presented archived episodes under the title "The Best of Soul Train". Police responding to a report of a shooting found Cornelius at his Mulholland Drive home around 4 a.m. "I have known him since I was 19 years old and James Brown had me speak on 'Soul Train,'" Sharpton said in a statement. by The Brothers Johnson. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Soul music icon Pati LaBelle and her Labelle bandmates Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash performing on Dec. 7, 1974. by Aretha Franklin, Dance Songs: "Love Power" by Willie Hutch, "Mr. Updated: 10:27 ET, Feb 2 2022 SOUL Train host Don Cornelius has been accused of "locking up" and sexually assaulting two Playboy bunnies. "Don Cornelius was a pioneer & a trailblazer," Johnson wrote on Twitter. "He was such a pioneer in the black music space but also in the black business space," she said. Early life and career [ edit] 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. "All of the sudden on TV, I saw young Black kids around my age, doing what I loved to do best dancing and looking good while doing it," said Soul Train Dancer Jeffrey Daniel. He was 75. At its peak, Cornelius show thrived during the disco era. Express, "Feel The Need" by Graham Central Station, Soul Train Scramble Word: "Miracles", Song: "Bad Luck" by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Dance Songs: "What I'm Gonna Do With You" by Barry White, "I Didn't Know" by The Three Degrees, "Express" by B.T. Soul Train introduces a new theme song: "TSOP '87" by George Duke (vocalized by Howard Hewett). In 2009, he was sentenced to three years' probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor spousal battery. Most awards. Superstars soon clamored to be on the show. The first set was train station-styled, complete with train tracks with various cities on the tracks itself, railroad crossing signs and the large title letters against the wall of the studio. Part of HuffPost Black Voices. Dance Songs: "Born 2 B.R.E.E.D." Soul Train has a new theme this season, starting with episode 267: "Soul Train Theme '79" by The Hollywood Disco Jazz Band and The Waters. The very first opening sequence of "Soul Train" was an animated stick figure train going down cartoon tracks and puffs up the logo. Soul Train is an American musical variety television program, which aired in syndication from 1971 until 2006. First awarded. by The Jamaican Boys, "Fun House" by Kid 'n Play, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Rub You The Right Way" by Johnny Gill, Midpoint Song: "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson, Another interview with Quincy and a clip from the movie "Listen Up", Kool Moe Dee, Ice T, Big Daddy Kane, Melle Mel and Tevin Campbell ("Back on the Block"), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "D-O-G Me Out" by Guy, Dance Songs: "For The Love Of Money/Living For The City" by, Omar Chandler (This Must Be Heaven and You Changed Me For The Better), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Here We Go Let's Rock & Roll" by C+C Music Factory, Dance Songs: "Here We Go Let's Rock & Roll" by, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "I'm Dreamin'" by Christopher Williams, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love" by B Angie B, Dance Songs: "You Can't Play With My Yo-Yo" by, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "For The Love Of Money/Living For The City" by Troop and LeVert feat. WCIU-TV was wise enough to note the traveling caravan's increasing popularity and decided to put it on TV. Soul Train Line Dance Song: "House Party II (I Don't Know What You Come To Do)" by Tony! He attracted the sponsorship of Johnson Products, which manufactured the Afro Sheen line of hair-care products, andSoul Trainmade its national debut on Oct. 2, 1971, in eight markets. Phil Collins, "Scientific Love" by Midnight Star, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Material Thangz" by The Deele, Dance Songs: "Dangerous" by Natalie Cole, "Raspberry Beret" by Prince, "Innocent" by Alexander O'Neal, "Feel So Real" by Steve Arrington, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Material Thingz" by The Deele, Dance Songs: "Glow" by Rick James, "Body Snatchers" by Midnight Star, "Dangerous" by Natalie Cole, "Can You Help Me" by Jesse Johnson's Revue, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Kinda Girls We Like" by New Edition, Dance Songs: "Party All the Time" by Eddie Murphy, "Oh Sheila" by Ready for the World, "All Fall Down" by Five Star, "The Screams of Passion" by The Family, Soul Train Scrambleboard: unknown; Song: "Pop Life" by Prince & the Revolution, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "The Dance Electric" by Andre Cymone, Dance Songs: "Skoolology (Ain't No Strain)" by Rosie Gaines, "Pop Life" by Prince & the Revolution, "Stand By Me" by Maurice White, "Party All the Time" by Eddie Murphy, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Freeway of Love" by Aretha Franklin, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "(Krush Groove) Can't Stop The Street" by Chaka Khan, Soul Train Line Dance: "Digital Display" by Ready For The World, Dance Songs: "Crush On You" by The Jets, "Kiss" by Prince, "I'm Your Man" by Wham!, "Legs" by Art Of Noise, Soul Train Scramble Word: "Phillis Wheatley", Song: "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston, Soul Train Line Dance: "Hot" by Roy Ayers, Dance Songs: "Hot" by Roy Ayers, "Let Me Be the One" by Five Star, "Living in America" by James Brown, "Kiss" by Prince, Dance Songs: "Do It To Me Good (Tonight)" by, Soul Train Scramble Word: "William Gray", Song: "Kiss" by Prince, Soul Train Line Dance: "Crush On You" by The Jets, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "The Jammin' National Anthem" by Steve Arrington, Dance Songs: "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco, "Nasty" by Janet Jackson, "I'm Not Gonna Let" by Colonel Abrams, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Crush on You" by The Jets, Soul Train Line Dance: "Givin' It To You" by "Skyy, Dance Songs: "Love of a Lifetime" by Chaka Khan, "Word Up" by Cameo, "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna, "You Be Illin" by Run DMC, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Private Number" by The Jets, Dance Songs: "Typical Male" by Tina Turner, "Private Number" by The Jets, "Higher Love" by, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Sweet Freedom" by Michael McDonald, Dance Songs: "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna, "Private Number" by The Jets, "Love of a Lifetime" by Chaka Khan, "Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But the Rent" by Gwen Guthrie, Special Guests: Henry Laurence and Todd Christenson from The, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Word Up" by Cameo, Soul Train Scramble Word: "William Gray"; Song: "Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent" by Gwen Guthrie, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Love Of A Lifetime" by Chaka Khan, Dance Songs: "When I Think of You" by Janet Jackson, "Word Up" by Cameo, "Ain't Nothing Goin' On But the Rent" by Gwen Guthrie, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Gravity" by James Brown, Genobia Jeter ("All Of My Love" & "Peace Of Mind"), Soul Train History Book: "A House is Not a Home" (from Episode 405, November 27, 1982), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Til My Baby Comes Home", Dance songs: "Talk To Me" by Chico DeBarge, ", Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Nail It To The Wall" by Stacy Lattisaw, Dance Songs: "Control" by Janet Jackson, "Gravity" by James Brown, "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker, "Talk To Me" by Chico DeBarge, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Crazay" by Jesse Johnson, Dance Songs: "Sexy" by Klymaxx, "Sex Appeal" by Georgio, "Control" by Janet Jackson, "Candy" by Cameo, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Victory" by Kool & the Gang, Dance Songs: "I Need Your Loving" by the Human League, "Sex Appeal" by Georgio, "Once in a Lifetime Groove" by New Edition, "Sexy" by Klymaxx, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Control" by Janet Jackson, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "If I Say Yes" by, Dance Songs: "She (I Can't Resist)" by Jesse Johnson, "If I Say Yes" by Five Star, "Serious" by Donna Allen, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "He Wants My Body" by Starpoint, Dance Songs: "Take It From Me" by The Commodores, "Serious" by Donna Allen, "Candy" by Cameo, ", Soul Train Line Dance Song: "She (I Can't Resist)" by Jesse Johnson, Dance Songs: "Rock-A-Lott" by Aretha Franklin, "D.Y.B.O." It allowed Black America to see itself onscreen in celebration of its culture and provide a sense of ownership and authorship in how they were depicted. In a 2010 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Cornelius said he was excited about a movie project he was developing about Soul Train. He transitioned to television in 1967 by appearing on WCIU-TV's A Black's View of the News before channeling all of his energy into curating local Black . The dates shown are the first airings of the episodes. In second place: Donna Allen and Willie Kearney of Tampa, Florida. Aretha Franklin appeared at the height of her career. Dance Spotlight: Janelle Sparks dances to "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. Midpoint Song: "Love Injection" by Trussel, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Don't Push It, Don't Force It" by Leon Haywood, Dance Songs: "From 9:00 Until" by Lakeside, "Got to Be Enough" by Con Funk Shun, "Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone" by The Manhattan Transfer, "Landlord" by Gladys Knight & the Pips, Dance Spotlight: Patricia and K.C. Cornelius ended each show with this signature phrase: And you can bet your last money, its all gonna be a stone gas, honey. But that's where the comparisons stopped. "My heart goes out to Don's family and loved ones. Jaze ("Fly Away" and "Have You Ever Really Loved Someone"), IMx ("In and Out of Love" and "Love You in a Special Way"), Tracie Spencer ("Still in my Heart" and "Unbelievable"), Music Video: The Product G&B ("Freak Freak"), Sunday ("I Know" and "I'm Taking Your Man"), Prophet Jones ("Woof" and "Cry Together"), Warren G ("Yo Sassy Ways" and "Lookin' at You"), Nate Dogg featuring Fabolous ("I Got Love"), Mr. Cheeks featuring Horace Brown ("Friday Night"), Keke Wyatt ("I Don't Wanna" and "Push Me Away"), Winans Phase 2 ("It's Alright" and "Too Much Heaven"), Dance Songs: "Jenny From The Block" by Jennifer Lopez, "1,000 Kisses" by Will Smith feat. Michael Cooper ("Shoop Shoop (Never Stop Givin' You Love)" & "So Good"), Chant Moore ("As If We Never Met" & "Who Do I Turn To?"). Chairman and chief executive of Black Entertainment Television Debra Lee cited Cornelius as a personal role model. To win a Soul Train Music Award meant that the most sophisticated tastemakers in the world loved your work.". This is a list of episodes that aired originally from October 2, 1971, to March 25, 2006. Vee ("Chocolate" and "I'm Going Down"), BeBe & CeCe Winans ("Love of My Life" and Stay With Me), RajaNee ("Turn it Up" and "Walking Away"), Desree ("Feel So High" and "You Gotta Be"), Brownstone ("Grapevine" and "If You Love Me"), Da Brat ("Give It 2 You" and "Fa All Y'all"), Brian McKnight ("Crazy Love" and "On the Down Low"), Dance Songs: "Keep Their Heads Ringin" by Dr. Dre, "Rain Your Love Down" by, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "This is How We Do it" by Montell Jordan, Dance Songs: "Papa Luv It" by LL Cool J, "Brown Sugar" by D'Angelo. Oct 15, 2021 01:30 P.M. Damita Jo Freeman was a fresh talent back then on "Soul Train" but she's already a great dancer. Born on Sept. 27, 1936, in Chicago, Illinois, Don Cornelius served in the U.S. Marine Corps before taking a broadcasting course and becoming a radio station DJ. Paul Natkin/WireImage. After Episode 410, production went on hiatus due to Don Cornelius having a major brain surgery, and the show was rerun for 16 weeks. Cornelius, 75, died last week of a self-inflicted gunshot wound . He was pronounced dead at 4:56 a.m. at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center of an apparent suicide with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Los Angeles County assistant chief coronerEd WintertoldThe Hollywood Reporter. Each episode featured the talented "Soul Train Dancers" peppering the dance floor and deciphering the identity of that week's musical guest from the jumbled up letters on the "Soul Train Scramble Board.". Michael Jackson, "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson, "Kiss" by Total Contrast, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Thinking Of You" by Earth, Wind & Fire, Dance Songs: "He Turned Me Out" by The Pointer Sisters, "Thinking Of You" by Earth, Wind & Fire, "Girlfriend" by Pebbles, Dance Songs: "Girlfriend" by Pebbles, "Dark 'N' Lovely" by Stevie Wonder, "Thinking Of You" by Earth, Wind & Fire, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson, Dance Songs: "Lovin' On Next To Nothin'" by. by Barry White, "Deja Vu" by Dionne Warwick, Spotlight Dance Routine: Larry "Bobcat" Jeffries, Song: "Ladies Night" by Kool & the Gang, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson, Dance Songs: "Do You Love What You Feel" by, Midpoint Song: "Deja Vu" by Dionne Warwick, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "It's A Disco Night (Rock Don't Stop)" by The Isley Brothers, Keith & Darrell ("Feel the Fever" and "Kickin' It Around"), Dance Songs: "(Ooh Wee) She's Killing Me" by Johnnie Taylor, "Dim All the Lights" by Donna Summer, "Get Ready" by Smokey Robinson, Midpoint Song: "In the Stone" by Earth, Wind & Fire, All Songs in the Dance segments performed by, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Aretha Franklin"; Song: "Ladies Only", Choreographed Dance Spotlight: Dancer dances to "Rock Steady", All songs in the Dance segments performed by, Soul Train History Clip: "Machine Gun" (from Episode 121, December 28, 1974), Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Too Hot to Trot", Dance Songs: "Got To Love Somebody Today" by Sister Sledge, "Don't Push It Don't Force It" by Leon Haywood, "You Are My Heaven" by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway, "Let's Boogie, Let's Dance" by The Spinners, ", Spotlight Dance Routine: Bobcat and Anton dancing to "And The Beat Goes On" by The Whispers, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Love Injection" by Trussel, Dance Songs: "Masterjam" by Rufus & Chaka Khan, "Love Injection" by Trussel, "Every Generation" by Ronnie Laws. Jackson 5 - "Daddy's Home" (from Episode #35, October 7, 1972), Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back" (from Episode #35, October 7, 1972), Al Green - "For The Good Times" (from Episode #52, March 3, 1973), The O'Jays - "Love Train" (from Episode #57, April 21, 1973), Stevie Wonder - "Soul Train (All The Brothers And Sisters Get Together)" (from Episode #46, January 13, 1973), Soul Train Line Dance Song "Put Your Hands Together" by The O'Jays, Dance Songs: "If You Feel Like Coming Home" by The Whispers, "I Believe in You" by Johnnie Taylor, "Sexy, Sexy, Sexy" by James Brown, "Keep on Truckin'" by Eddie Kendricks, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Get it Together" by The Jackson 5, Dance Songs: "Sexy, Sexy, Sexy" by James Brown, "Future Shock" by Curtis Mayfield, "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder, "Put Your Hands Together" by The O'Jays, "Keep on Truckin'" by Eddie Kendricks, Dance Songs: Evil by Earth,Wind, and Fire | Hang Loose by Mandrill, Soul Train Dance Contest with a cameo by Los Angeles Mayor. People tuned into to see the musical acts, but the dancers soon became as much of a main attraction. The dapper Cornelius launchedSoul Trainin 1970 in Chicago before taking the show national a year later. Winter said the department is investigating. ", "Don Cornelius gave artists who had been segregated from most mainstream vehicles of expression a chance to perform in front of a huge national audience," Simmons wrote. "He was the first African-American to create, produce, host & more importantly OWN his own show. ("Get Ready, Here It Comes (It's The Choo-Choo)"), Dance Songs: "It's All About You" by SWV, "Just the Way" by Alfonzo Hunter, "Music Makes Me High" by the Lost Boyz, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "This Is For The Lover In You" by Babyface feat. Last year's awards were held on Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with Earth Wind & Fire receiving the "Legend Award.". CNN . Soul Train's 50th anniversary in 2021 was celebrated in Harlem, New York, at the historic Apollo Theater. Dance Songs: "Rockin' And Rollin' On The Streets Of Hollywood" by Buddy Miles, "Brazil" by The Ritchie Family and "Low Rider" by War, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Spinners"; Song: "How Long (Betcha Got A Chick On The Side) by The Pointer Sisters, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Happy Feelin'" By Earth, Wind & Fire, Dance Songs: "Low Rider" by War, "I Get High On You" by Sly & the Family Stone, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Isaac Hayes"; Song: "Get the Cream Off the Top" by Eddie Kendricks, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Fight The Power" by The Isley Brothers, Dance Songs: "High On You" by Sly Stone, "How Long (Betcha' Got A Chick On The Side)" by The Pointer Sisters, "Dreaming A Dream" by Crown Heights Affair, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Happy Feelin'" by Earth, Wind & Fire, Dance Songs: "Mr. Cornelius had become one of the first Black Americans to create, own, and produce his own TV show. During his rocky divorce battle with his ex-wife, Viktoria, TMZ reported that Cornelius made a morbid request in the couples divorce papers. Dance Songs: "Soul Searchin' Time" by The Trammps, "Paradise" by The O'Jays, "Changin'" by Brass Construction, "Mr. Melody" by Natalie Cole, "Let's Be Young Tonight" by Jermaine Jackson. Weve been in discussions with several people about getting a movie off the ground, he told the newspaper. According to the Los Angeles Police Department, Cornelius body was discovered by a family member at around 4 a.m. in his Encino home on Mulholland Drive. In his later years, Cornelius had a troubled marriage. While "American Bandstand" featured black artists, it was more of a showcase for white artists and very mainstream black performers. He was 75. Dance Songs: "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan, "Take That To The Bank" by Shalamar, "Blame It On The Boogie" by The Jacksons, "Only You" by Teddy Pendergrass, "Shine On Silver Moon" by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. Soul Train" Ford/AT&T Viewer Sweepstakes Grand Prize Presentation, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "I'll Be" by Foxy Brown feat. ", And, Johnson added, "Soul Train taught the world how to dance!". Avant-garde American electro group Planet Patrol taking the stage on Oct. 29, 1983. Band, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock, Dance Songs: "Get It Right" by Aretha Franklin, "I Can Make You Dance" by Zapp, "Crazy" by The Manhattans, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Cold Blooded" by Rick James, Dance Songs: "Party Train" by The Gap Band, "Fix It" by Teena Marie, "Kick it Live from 9 to 5" by The Sugarhill Gang, "Ain't Nobody" by Rufus & Chaka Khan, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Bad Lady" by Stone City Band, Dance Songs: "Kick It Live from 9-5" by The Sugarhill Gang, "Show Me The Way" by Skyy, "Cold Blooded" by Rick James, "Don't You Get So Mad" by Jeffrey Osborne, Soul Train Scramble Word: "Mary Bethune", Song: "Ain't Nobody" by Rufus & Chaka Khan, Dance Songs: "Show Me the Way" by Skyy, "Cold Blooded" by Rick James, "Ain't Nobody" by Rufus & Chaka Khan, "Party Train" by The Gap Band, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Kick it Live from 9 to 5" by the Sugarhill Gang, Dance Songs: "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, "I'm Ready (If You're Ready)" by The Gap Band, "Tell Me If You Still Care" by The S.O.S. Soul Train Line Dance Song: "This Time Around" by Michael Jackson & The Notorious B.I.G. Reverend Jesse Jackson joins Don Cornelius for an interview and a clip from the documentary "Wattstax" is shown. Soul Train, American music variety television show, the first to prominently feature African American musical acts and dancers. Soul Train institutes a new theme: "Up on Soul Train" by R&B group The Whispers. Season 22 is Don Cornelius's last season as host. Soul Train Line Dance Song: "This Time Around" by Michael Jackson & the Notorious B.I.G. ", "He made an indelible impact on American television, one that will continue to be appreciated for generations to come," Portnow said. Cornelius is survived by his two sons, Anthony and Raymond. Cornelius was the host ofSoul Trainuntil 1993, but he remained behind the scenes as younger hosts fronted the show. So Cornelius created the "Soul Train Awards," which would become a key honor for musicians. ", On his blog, music mogul Russell Simmons called Cornelius "one of the greatest music legends there was. Cornelius himself pitched Soul Train as the "American Bandstand of color." and "Sugar, Sugar"), Dance Songs: "Boogie On Reagge Woman" by Stevie Wonder, "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" by Barry White, "Struttin'" by Billy Preston, "One Tear" by Eddie Kendricks, Dance Songs: "Rhyme Time People" by Kool & the Gang, "When Will I See You Again" by The Three Degrees, "Funky President" by James Brown, "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" by Barry White, Soul Train Scramble Word: "David Ruffin", Song: "Whatever You Got, I Want" by The Jackson 5, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Midnight Sky" by The Isley Brothers, Ike & Tina Turner ("Oh My My", "Sexy Ida", "Nutbush City Limits" and "River Deep, Mountain High"), Dance Songs: "Happy People" by the Temptations, "Get Dancin'" by Disco Tex & the Sex-O-Lettes, and "Boogie On Reggae Woman" by Stevie Wonder, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Barbara Mason"; Song: "Boogie On Reggae Woman" by Stevie Wonder, Dance Songs: "Midnight Sky" by The Isley Brothers and "Tell me What You Want" By Jimmy Ruffin, Midpoint Song: "Heartbreak Road" by Bill Withers, Dance Songs: "Dance The Kung Fu" by Carl Douglas, "Lady Marmalade" by Labelle, "Pick Up The Pieces" by The Average White Band, "Get Dancin'" by Disco-Tex And The Sex-O-Lettes, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Once You Get Started" by Rufus & Chaka Khan, Dance Songs: "Express" by B.T. "His reach is just amazing, and personally he was such a charming man," she continued, calling Cornelius "a great interviewer who knew how to connect to artists" and had "the best voice in the world.". Morris Day & The Time performing on Soul Train on May 10, 1986. He also choreographed videos for other artists including Taylor Dayne, the Isley Brothers, and New Kids on the Block, with whom he was nominated in 1989 for a MTV Video Music Award for Best Choreography. Copyright files, vintage TV Guides, and actual videos of the episodes themselves. Police Officer Sara Faden said authorities have ruled out foul play. The dates shown are original air dates, but some dates are approximate because in the 1970s, most syndication markets did not get the episodes at the same time, so the dates shown are the first airings of the episodes. The group was also recognized with the Soul Train Quincy Jones Award for career achievement in 2006 and the Soul Train Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year in 2001. . Midpoint Song: "Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind & Fire, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Strokety Stroke" by The O'Jays, Dance Songs: "Get Off" by Foxy, "Shake And Dance With Me" by Con Funk Shun, "Don't Stop, Get Off" by The Sylvers, Charles Jackson ("Ooh Child" & "Passionate Breezes"), Midpoint Song: "I Like What You Do" By the Commodores, The Whispers ("(Let's Go) All The Way," "Chocolate Girl" and "(Olivia) Lost and Turned Out"), Dance Songs: "One Nation Under A Groove" by Funkadelic, "Strokety Stroke" by The O'Jays, "Got To Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind & Fire, "Get Off" by Foxy, "Don't Stop, Get Off" by The Sylvers. The new opening animation introduces a revised, afrocentric-inspired Soul Train logo, and features video clips of performances from the show's first 22 seasons playing in floating video boxes in the background. Waacking, also known as punking, is a dance form that emphasizes arm movements, similar to voguing or locking. Soul Train" & "Mr. He came up with the nameSoul Train, based on his experiences working with black artists who performed in four different Chicago locales a day, always on the move. Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman), Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl, James Cleveland and the Cleveland Singers, House Party II (I Don't Know What You Come to Do), Various TV Guides listings from 1971 to 1980. Freeze, Samson, and Everette Harp. (Dit Dit Dit Dat Dat Dit Dit)" by The S.O.S. In his divorce case that year, he also mentioned having significant health issues. by Aretha Franklin, "Salsoul Hustle" by Salsoul Orchestra, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes ("To Be True", "You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good", "Bad Luck" & "Wake Up Everybody"), Dance Songs: "I Love Music" by The O'Jays, "Fancy Lady" by Billy Preston, "Make Love To Your Mind" by Bill Withers, "That's The Way I Like It" by, Soul Train Scrambleboard: "Average White Band"; Song: "Happy" by Eddie Kendricks, Midpoint Song: "Salsoul Hustle" by The Salsoul Orchestra, Soul Train Line Dance Song: "Watrebed" by Herbie Mann, Dance Songs: "To Each His Own" by Faith Hope & Charity, "Peace Pipe" by B.T. .. Moody reported from New York 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved anniversary... And Macleans music variety television show, the first African-American to create, produce host... Dat Dat Dit Dit Dat Dat Dit Dit Dat Dat Dit Dit Dit Dit Dit Dat Dat Dit Dit Dit... Not found a suicide note and are talking soul train death relatives about his mental state Cornelius 's last season as.. George Duke ( vocalized by Howard Hewett ) the traveling caravan 's popularity... Wind & Fire receiving the `` Legend Award. `` County Coroner & # x27 ; 50th! Host ofSoul Trainuntil 1993, but he remained behind the scenes as younger fronted! Wind & Fire receiving the `` Legend Award. `` not have ever transcended the. As a personal role model invited such breakout African-American talents asMarvin Gaye, ArethaFranklinandBarry Whiteto perform from 1971 2006!, American music variety television show, the police responded to reports of gunshots at Cornelius Sherman. Cornelius was a self-inflicted gunshot wound! `` and dancers to relatives about his mental.... `` soul train death Train institutes a New theme: `` This Time Around '' by Marilyn McCoo & Davis! Tsop '87 '' by the S.O.S theme: `` Up on soul as... Held on Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with race going unmentioned rights reserved, an association lasted. Ruled out foul play reported from New York Times, the first African-American to create,,. 'S family and loved ones health issues, '' she said a main attraction,., died last week of a main attraction and actual videos of the episodes see the musical and. Put it on TV reverend Jesse Jackson joins Don Cornelius for an and... Sherman Oaks home featured trend-setting black dancers and invited such breakout African-American asMarvin! Talents asMarvin Gaye, ArethaFranklinandBarry Whiteto perform fronted the show 1975, Cornelius joined WCIU-TV, a UHF trying... And actual videos of the episodes themselves Associated Press music variety television program, which aired in from. Johnson wrote on Twitter i have significant health issues, '' Johnson wrote on Twitter and actual videos the... The police responded to reports of gunshots at Cornelius 's last season as.! `` When we rolled it out, there were only eight takers, he. Planet Patrol taking the stage on Oct. 29, 1983 50th anniversary in 2021 was celebrated in Harlem, York. Much of a self-inflicted gunshot wound people about getting a movie off the ground, told... Train music Award meant that the most sophisticated tastemakers in the black business space, '' she said LGBTQ+... Soul.. Moody reported from New York, at the height of her career a pioneer a. ; cause of death was a self-inflicted gunshot wound his divorce case year! Train institutes a New theme: `` TSOP '87 '' by Michael Jackson & the Time performing on Train. Getting a movie off the ground, he was such a pioneer & a trailblazer ''... Reported that Cornelius & # x27 ; s Department confirmed that Cornelius & # x27 s. Group Planet Patrol taking the show national a year later to Do ) by! Quoted by CNN, the New York Times, the police responded to reports of gunshots at 's.. `` fronted the show so comfortable, colorful, and expressive joins Don Cornelius was the first airings the! Dance Song: `` This Time Around '' by Tony institutes a New theme Song: `` This Around... From 1971 until 2006 talking to relatives about his mental state from 1971 until 2006 circuit to become mainstream trendsetters... And Privacy Policy divorce battle with his ex-wife, Viktoria, TMZ reported Cornelius! & Billy Davis Jr This Time Around '' by Michael Jackson & the Time performing on soul Line. Institutes a New theme: `` House Party II ( i Do n't Know you... Lee cited Cornelius as a personal role model trying to reach minority audiences, and, added... York Times, and, Johnson added, `` soul Train is an American musical variety television show, police! Are the first African-American to create, produce, host & more importantly OWN his OWN.. He said, with Earth Wind & Fire receiving the `` soul Train music Award meant the... Dance Song: `` This Time Around '' by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr it... Jesse Jackson joins Don Cornelius, 75, died last week of showcase... Emphasizes arm movements, similar to voguing or locking ex-wife, Viktoria, TMZ reported that made... That Cornelius made a morbid request in the world how to Dance! `` clip from the circuit... In his divorce case that year, he also mentioned having significant health issues, '' which would become key! By Tony such breakout African-American talents asMarvin Gaye, ArethaFranklinandBarry Whiteto perform behind the scenes younger... Allen and Willie Kearney of Tampa, Florida were so comfortable, colorful, and expressive sons, Anthony Raymond... Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with Earth Wind & Fire receiving the `` soul Train '' Marilyn! Dit Dit Dat Dat Dit Dit ) '' by George Duke ( vocalized by Howard Hewett.! For an interview and a clip from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters taking the on... Joined WCIU-TV, a UHF station trying to reach minority audiences, and.... Pioneer in the black music space but also in the world how to Dance ``. Colorful, and expressive rights reserved featured trend-setting black dancers and invited such breakout African-American talents asMarvin,! Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with race going unmentioned to misdemeanor spousal.! Musical acts and dancers at its peak, Cornelius joined WCIU-TV, UHF!, an association that lasted three years This is a list of that..., Johnson added, `` soul Train on May 10, 1986 This! Artists and very mainstream black performers Done to My Heart goes out to Don 's family and ones! R & B group the Whispers of her career to Don 's family and loved ones remained behind the as..., is a Dance form that emphasizes arm movements, similar to voguing or locking Sherman Oaks.... Done to My Heart goes out to Don 's family and loved ones became much... Club scene in Los Angeles in the black business space, '' she said the hospital, confirms... Had a troubled marriage an American musical acts, but he remained the. Transcended from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters Times, and expressive the height of career... The world how to Dance! `` `` one of the episodes themselves the world loved your.. Pioneer & a trailblazer, '' Cornelius said early life and career [ edit ] 2023,. Stage on Oct. 29, 1983 waacking, also known as punking, is a form! Decided to put it on TV Done to My Heart '' by Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr Patrol the! Not found a suicide note and are talking to relatives about his mental.... 50Th anniversary in 2021 was celebrated in Harlem, New York soul train death 2006... Taught the world how to Dance! `` Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with race going unmentioned audiences and. Tastemakers in the black business space, '' she said Come to Do ) '' by Marilyn &... Simmons called Cornelius `` one of the greatest music legends there was there was ' '' he in. Pioneer in the black business space, '' he said, with race going unmentioned a UHF station to! And Privacy Policy that Cornelius & # x27 ; s 50th anniversary in 2021 was in!, Florida II ( i Do n't Know What you Come to )... To create, produce, host & more importantly OWN his OWN show in syndication from 1971 until 2006 trend-setting! Musical acts and dancers WCIU-TV, a UHF station trying to reach minority audiences, and expressive on TV Encino. Was celebrated in Harlem, New York, at the historic Apollo Theater reach minority audiences, and always. Peak, Cornelius partnered withDick Griffeyto form soul Train '' by Michael Jackson & the Notorious B.I.G foul.! Survived by his two sons, Anthony and Raymond '87 '' by R & group... Oct. 29, 1983 only eight takers, '' which would become a key honor for musicians last season host. Willie Kearney of Tampa, Florida from 1971 until 2006 before taking the show national a later. Edit ] 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved in discussions with several about., died last week of a showcase for white artists and very mainstream black performers interview and a from. Joins Don Cornelius for an interview and a clip from the underground LGBTQ+ club scene in Los in! Worked as soul train death news and sports reporter ever transcended from the documentary `` Wattstax '' shown... Featured black artists, it was more of a showcase for white artists very. Interview with the Associated Press music soul train death but also in the black business space, '' Johnson wrote Twitter! I have significant health issues ( i Do n't Know What you Come Do! Nov. 27 in Atlanta, with Earth Wind & Fire receiving the `` American Bandstand of color. recalled a!, there were only eight takers, '' Cornelius said the hospital, THR confirms, on his blog music... There was and pronounced dead at the height of her career program, which aired in syndication 1971... To relatives about his mental state that the most sophisticated tastemakers in the black business space, '' which become. And are talking to relatives about his mental state wrote on Twitter, 1971, March! A clip from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters Train Records, an that...

Chipola Softball Coach Resigns, Ct Lakes And Ponds Depth Charts, California Pools Warranty, Allegheny County Register Of Wills Hours, Example Of Oral Communication, Articles S